Hello...totally new to scale

Started by urbancohort, 30 June 2014, 09:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

To be honest I am a railway modeller who dallies with some wargames, or has done in the past. I do N gauge, (1/148th 2mm to foot) so this range appeals..

BUT

I've looked at all teh great figures on here and can't think what to do next!

Doing a  Wild West N gauge layout, so could do the plains war stuff with some Cavalry from the ACW range? That'd work, but then I have a great interest, (being an ex Colonial Policeman) in the Colonial stuff and a yen to build a wild West layout set in Canada, so its a British Colonial layout.... Then there are the British Colonial figs not to mention Canadian Militia, (perhaps a little early for the 1880s but can check.) It's be great to see some NWMP amongst them...

But of course this year is the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1, so early WW1 appeals too... But then I remember I also knew men who fought in the trenches, and those figures of tanks DO look pretty good, so maybe later war?

Then again I also knew a Boer War veteran too...

No, I know, its gotta be Vietnam. Always had an interest in that since I saw it on teh 6 o'clock news as a kid, or perhaps the Falklands.

But wait - I come from Zummerzet and there's a bonza range of League of Augsburg figs - that'd pass for Sedgemmor, surely? And teh ECW Peasants could do at scythemen etc so THAT campaign could be modelled.

Ahh now, my first love was ECW though. So that's what it'll be...

mm, but what about teh Late Roman Empire. used to do that in 25mm in teh 80s....

Oh dear oh dear.

Can't do them all of course, can I?? :(
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Leon

Hi urbancohort, welcome to the Forum!

Quote from: urbancohort on 30 June 2014, 09:42:54 PM
Can't do them all of course, can I?? :(

Course you can!   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

With 10mm you will find you can do a lot more than you think you can - the cost is low, and they are quick to paint.

But you do have to pick one (or three!) starting points. WWI and LoA would be my first two - WWI because of the centenary, and the uniforms are nice and quick to paint, and you can add a few tanks.  LoA because the figures are lovely - but they do take a lot more painting because of the detail and facings and hat lace.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Welcome aboard! Hope you decide soon, it's all good! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Welcome. The Late Romans are incredible figures for the scale. The cataphracts even come in two parts so you can move the body around before gluing,
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

Quote from: Leon on 30 June 2014, 09:44:34 PM
Hi urbancohort, welcome to the Forum!

Course you can!   :D

Don't listen to the Bad Man!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

Colonials are a good start; the regular armies are small, so one side is battle-ready soon, which is good for your morale.  Do them, fall in love with them, get used to the scale (which is the most satisfying of the range of choices), and then let yourself be turned to the dark side and buy ECW and Little Big Horn and Chalons and the Arab Revolt in quick succession.

That said, welcome on board, and I hope you'll lend your voice to the ignored elite calling for a conquest of Mexico range!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

A very warm welcome, 'U'
Cheers - Phil

urbancohort

:) Thanks to all for the welcome!
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Morning.

As to what to do - whatever you are interested in....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Fenton

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 July 2014, 08:29:23 AM
Morning.

As to what to do - whatever you are interested in....

IanS

Cant argue with that ...Welcome aboard
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Hertsblue

Welcome aboard, Urbancohort. If you're really undecided, why not get a pack of each (they won't cost you an arm and a leg) and see which grabs you. There is a lot to be said for the advice given above, however. Start with relatively simple uniforms like those of the Colonials or WW1 that will get figures on the table quickly.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

That's a good idea. My WWI Russians painted up really quickly.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

slugbalancer

How about the Sudan, railway there of course.  I'm sure there were trains in Lawrence of Arabia, so WWI Arab revolt.

FierceKitty

The railway in the Sudan was always far behind the lines, alas. No Young Winston actions ambushing armoured trains.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.