Undead Army Painting

Started by cra1gwt, 11 May 2014, 09:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric

Those look excellent mate, can't wait to see them amassed against my greenskins! And yes, while I've just ordered more Goblin bits to get me to the new 2000 point target, ive already got my eyes on a wood elf army...these projects always see  to escalate haha!

fred.

They are looking really good now, the banners and shields set off the rest of the bones very nicely.

Quote from: Ric on 24 May 2014, 10:12:01 AM
And yes, while I've just ordered more Goblin bits to get me to the new 2000 point target, ive already got my eyes on a wood elf army...these projects always see  to escalate haha!

Don't fight it accept that it is the natural way of the world!!

Its great to see how quickly you have both put together decent sized armies.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Looking good - the deep purple > bright blue pops nicely and looks like a really deep set of shading to boot :)

Oh yes - MOAR ARMIES PLZ! Hope KoW plays well, make sure you pop us a few bat-reps please :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

cra1gwt

I actually think that the forum diary and posting here has provided an important spur to action!  Most of my painting projects lose steam at one point or another for at least a little while, but this one has been swift and encouraging. 

I don't think the growth in armies is really a problem!  Ric appears to be thinking Goblins, Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs.  I'm more minded along the track of Undead, Dark Elves, Humans (probably an 'Empire' faction, and maybe a 'Barbarian' one). 

Anyway, if I can stop myself from gluing together various other model collections, I'll get the bases done.  The zombie hordes are painted up around 80%, which was the last big mental hurdle.  Before long, we shall hopefully switch from the 'painting diaries' forum and switch to the 'battle reports' section!

toxicpixie

Yeah, it definitely gives you motivation :) Good stuff, and good luck with the megalomania :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

cra1gwt

It has been a week or so since I had a chance to post, thanks to various odds & ends getting in the way.  However I have been plugging away at it, and - barring the odd bit of detailing here and there - think I'm basically complete with my undead army.  At least as it currently stands - following my battle with Ric the other Monday there are already plans afoot for an expansion and overhaul!  (Incidentally, thanks to Ric for posting on the forum about the first clash we had!)

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10089.0.html

Here, then, are the painted and based hordes of the undead:

The massed hordes - skeletal regiments, zombie hordes, revenant cavalry, wights, catapults, a vampire and a necromancer.
(As you may read in the battle report, the Necromancer wound up being stamped into the ground by Ric's giant - he's back, though.  Of course.!)

An attempt at a bit more close-up detail on the hordes...

Skeletal regiments!  The banner symbol actually came from the Pendraken figures for 'Armed Zombies' where some had a shield with five circles molded onto the surface.  I painted then red to add a bit of brightness next to all the blue/purple background, found I quite liked it, and so have taken it as the army-wide symbol.  The banner circle-outlines here were added with a fine Rotring pen, after I just added the red paint and realized it looked too undefined on its own.

Some slightly blurry zombies!  I have finally managed to mostly finish them off, and they are a nice mix of blues & purples (to fit in with the army colour-scheme), plus some greys & browns (they are the risen dead, after all), and the occasional pink flesh-tone (with hint of orange) for the skin of the recently dead (as it compliments the blues). 

Techno

Very tasty !
Great job !
Cheers - Phil

Ric

They look excellent Craig! I like the use of those pens on the banners, it really helps define the red dots. The zombies are looking very nice indeed with all that colour. Too often zombies are just boring brown, so it's a refreshing take on the classic look! Looking forward to a rematch soon!

Ithoriel

Yep, looking good right enough! Very impressive array.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Quote from: Ric on 06 June 2014, 08:41:32 AM
They look excellent Craig! I like the use of those pens on the banners, it really helps define the red dots. The zombies are looking very nice indeed with all that colour. Too often zombies are just boring brown, so it's a refreshing take on the classic look! Looking forward to a rematch soon!

Indeedy - whilst they look like a shambling horde, they don't look like an *undifferentiated" shambling horde :D

Really good stuff, nice one on both speed and quality of the paint job, and getting a game in so quick too. I like the look of those really big regiments :)