28mm Romans

Started by Vulpine, 11 May 2014, 05:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

What'd the Romans ever do for us, eh?

Well, give us back ache from carrying so much lead for starters!

Lovely - that's going to give some very big games :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Vulpine

It's a massive amount of Romans... You should see the Celts! My hart sunk when I watched them unpack there massive box!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Those are going to look SO zippy on the table top.
Cheers - Phil

Vulpine

Just finished a regiment of Pretorians.

Very similar to paint than standard Romans but with there crest painted white, then inked with a watered down yellow wash.

Pretorians without command.

Pretorians with command.

Pretorians from both sides

Pretorian Hero

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Techno

Keep up the great work, 'V'.
Cheers - Phil

kev1964

Great work, looking forward to seeing them all complete,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Vulpine

So, the guys for the front line! The Romans Auxiliary !

Auxiliary at attenshion without command.

Auxiliary with command.

Auxiliary from the side
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

Do you all think the command should be on the front line?

The Centurion should be on the front leading the regiment. But the Horn blower and Stndard?

I've put them on the front as that's the done thing in Warhammer Fantasy. But they are smaller units.

Also, I imagine the Romans making a wall with the shields and they don't have shields?

So what do you all think? Move the standard and horn blower to the center or back? Or keep 'em on the front?
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

FierceKitty

A standard is to be followed. And a musician communicates the officer's wishes. You know my methods, Watson. Apply them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Centurions might be in the front rank if things were desperate and standard bearers and musicians might lead in an advance but by point of contact the front rank should be legionaries or auxilia with spear/ sword/ shield, so I'd say it depends what phase of the battle the unit is representing ... or to put it another way, do what you think looks best there's an explanation for either option!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

24 May 2014, 08:58:51 AM #25 Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 09:04:19 AM by toxicpixie
Bizarre... first post was actually in response to the Night goblin thread but somehow ended up here. Suspect touch pad-thumb integration issues...

If your guys are on single bases in movement trays pop them to front when marching, back a rank when it gets down to the shoving and bleeding :)

"Competition" Warhammer players might balk (the standards not in the front rank, no bonus!) but stuff 'em.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Vulpine

24 May 2014, 06:04:42 PM #26 Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 06:07:01 PM by Vulpine
Right, first part of the terrain building...

The board is recycled from the African board
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5712.0;wap2

It has a textured coat already, using a mix of paint with sand mixed in. I've added some more hills by mixing up polly filler. Top tip for the hills. Make a pile with your filler about the size you want the hill, then use a wet 3inc paint brush to smoth it out.

Then once dry a coat of paint ontop. I have now given it a coat of green paint as tomorow will do another coat and spinkle grass flock onto it before it drys.

For the path I've used decorators calk to outline it before painting it brown. I have made sure each one starts and ends at the same point on the board so each can be swapped changing the layout .

Because of the bases the trees from my winter board fit perfect and just look slightly frosty.
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7664.25;wap2

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

I think front rank is best. It may be correct in any case but more to the point, the opponent can tell what units have what.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

Another regiment of Legionaries done! These will be Vetrans, a lot these have older variants of armour and a few have gladiator style gauntlet armour to help protect the sword arm, a lot of Romans lost the sword arm fighting, this was a add hock solution that Legionairs would chose to use.

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

Board compleat. It's 4ft by 8ft and can be altered. I've done a cross road board, a river, a plain board, a board with 1 hill and one with 2 hills.

Can't get all the board in this pic!

Long roman road, in the distance you can just work out some Romans on the horizon.

Road has a thin layer of gravel on, this was a later idea, looks good.

Trees also fit well, although made for a snow board. It looks just like a slight frost in the trees and dosnt look out of place.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!