whats the right wash ?

Started by chalkie, 06 May 2014, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Norm

Army painter do three 'non-colour' inks. They are soft tone ( like a sepia) strong tone (apparently very similar to Devlan mud) and dark tone ( a sort of blackish ink).

I have just covered some WWII Russian infantry in strong tone and it really dirtied my figure too much. However a very quick touch up with some highlights did an excellent rescue job, with overall contrast now improved.

Leman

Have to admit that, given the previous post, I have found the WG inks do cover rather than just find the folds. WG Agrax, on the other hand, does tend to flow into creases with very little adherence to the high points.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

you do have to water the AP one down I have found
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Zippee

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 08 May 2014, 09:31:18 PM
Have to admit that, given the previous post, I have found the WG inks do cover rather than just find the folds. WG Agrax, on the other hand, does tend to flow into creases with very little adherence to the high points.

What are WG inks?

Fenton

Hussargeneral

I use the Vallejo dipping formula as a wash, not a dip. Black or Sepia depending on the colour I am shading. Devlan Mud smells awful but does work well. A  bottle of Black Pelikan Ink (for Fountain pens) works very well when thinned down enough....basically trial and error. I found the Army Painter dips to be too dark and thick textured to be suitable for me.

Zippee

Quote from: Fenton on 10 May 2014, 07:52:47 PM
I was presuming a mistype

Ah right Agrax is the new Devlan I guess. Just too expensive for the quantity I use - I did cry when I finally had to admit my last pot of Devlan Mud was empty :-[

I now use the  Cote d'arms washes  which with 6mm and 10mm I find slightly better as they are thinner than GW . Nowhere near as good for large scale or multi-colour shade washing on 28mm but seem to work fine as a brush on dip in the smaller scales.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

civvycivvy

The wash I keep coming back to is a mixture of thinners and burnt umber oil paint. Mix to suit, don't overfill the brush.

Derek H

Quote from: Zippee on 11 May 2014, 08:34:04 AM
Ah right Agrax is the new Devlan I guess. Just too expensive for the quantity I use - I did cry when I finally had to admit my last pot of Devlan Mud was empty :-[

Make your own with stuff from art shops.  Matte Medium, Flow improver, water and artists inks.  It's seriously cheap and works just as well.  Use Sephia ink to get a Devlan Mud equivalent. 

See http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/261541.page

John Cook

Quote from: Genom on 07 May 2014, 06:52:09 PM
Devlan mud, oh how my life changed when I discovered that. Only a tiny bit left in my tub then I need to find a replacement so that statement is a godsend.

I found that Vallejo Sepia wash was a good replacement for Devlan Mud, though I thin it over white, otherwise it can be a bit dark.