whats the right wash ?

Started by chalkie, 06 May 2014, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chalkie

Hi All, How are you all doing ?
Can anyone please tell me what is the right wash for the creases in clothing / uniforms ? Ive never tried a wash before but want to give it ago but not sure what wash to use.
any help would be great,

Paul .

Ric

Personally I used army painters strong or dark tone shade from the bottle,(not the dipping meyhod) but I also use vallejo sepia tone quite regularly

chalkie

ok mate thats great, will that be ok for say british AWI uniforms cos they have white trousers ?

GordonY

Magic Wash :

50% Future Wax
50% Water

dump in a bottle of dark brown ink

you're sorted

Ric

Well on white trousers you'd do no worse than getting a grey wash from vallejo, but i often use the dark tone on white as it's essentially a very dark grey colour.. it's personal preference and trial and error I'm afraid! It'd be interesting to hear what others have to say though so don't take my word as gospel!

FierceKitty

Didn't Rembrandt van Rijn paint something called The Right Wash?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Quote from: GordonY on 06 May 2014, 11:31:25 AM
Magic Wash :

50% Future Wax
50% Water

dump in a bottle of dark brown ink

you're sorted

Proportions of ink to the rest would seem a fit subject for inquiry?

chalkie

so do you use a red wash for a redcoat and grey wash for the trousers ? is that how it works ?

burnaby64

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 May 2014, 11:37:31 AM
Didn't Rembrandt van Rijn paint something called The Right Wash?

Ouch!

FierceKitty

Then there's the popular name for the 42nd Highlanders too.

Norm

When trying a wash for the first time, just do 1 figure and let it properly dry, as the results can be devastating.

If you paint in acrylic, the acrylic paint leaves a rough surface and ink will happily cling to it rather than running off the high pints and collecting in the low points - the result is that you can end up with a 'dirty' figure.

some people put a gloss varnish on the figure before washing and they mat varnish later. The magic wash that includes floor polish is very popular and the polish helps flow and can be used on its own to 'pre-varnish' prior to washing - though I can't stand the smell, so i have move to Army painter inks, which I am still experimenting with. Some say use them straight from the bottle and others say dilute 50/50 with water.

I am presently using light tone on flesh, dark tone on whites, light blue and greys and then their strong tone on everything else - I am still not convinced that i am getting the best results.

Sometimes after a wash, you may want to go over the highlights with a dry brush to 'rescue' them if the inks have dirtied them too much.

There are polyurethene 'dips' , but they can also be heavy handed, though the shading does happen, i found these dips tended to 'bronze' some of my colours. They also smell, take a while to dry and the brushes need to be cleaned in spirit.

My Russian WWII in their Khaki look good washed in brown ink, my germans are now lined with ink instead of 'washing' because the wash makes their uniform too dark. Basically, there is a bit of trial and error to all of this.

Fenton

The AP strong tone ink in Klear works well

It is something I still cant make up my mind on though is whether black or brown ink wash works better on 10mm
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ric

I used to think that strong tone was better, but for 10mm figures I'm leaning toward the dark tone now as it provides good definition between colours. I use dark tone for uniforms and faces, white, red and blue indiscriminately these days!

I don't dilute it as I find it bubbles up too much, but I'll often use a dry brush or bit of kitchen roll to lift any excessive pooling.

Ric

I just recently did these 28mm guys in a scruffy basecoat and a dark tone wash, and with a little touching up they will be fine for gaming with!

FierceKitty

Hell's bells! I took those for 10mm at first sight.