Hmm...

Started by nikharwood, 17 July 2010, 11:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

I think I've come to the conclusion (finally) that there isn't, in fact, a period or theatre that I wouldn't consider gaming. Even when I think I've got no interest in something, with a couple minutes thought & an internet connection, I can easily become convinced  :P

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only completely-feckin-lost-cause...but just thought I'd check...

Now - where's that nurse with my medication, eh?  ;) ;D

Megamatman

Same as I prescribed here:
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=810.0

Bring me 10cc's of lead stat!  :D
Megamatman

Sandinista

Many periods leave me cold, Napoleonics, Sci Fi, WW1, modern and colonial spring to mind

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 17 July 2010, 11:27:55 PM
I think I've come to the conclusion (finally) that there isn't, in fact, a period or theatre that I wouldn't consider gaming. Even when I think I've got no interest in something, with a couple minutes thought & an internet connection, I can easily become convinced  :P

Have you seen the "1879-1884 South American Pacific War" range?!

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/19th-Century-c15/1879-1884-South-American-Pacific-War-sc96/

:D ;D :D ;D :D

:P
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

Depends on how specific you are about the word "period."  There are some conflicts out there that would make you sick to your stomach - but other conflicts in the same general "period" might not.

FierceKitty

I have a similar list of needn't-plays to Sandinista's. I was suckered into a few colonial games of 19th-century Sudanese battles some time ago, however, and must admit I enjoyed them. But few wargamers don't enjoy colonials: pause to consider that this includes Alexander's successors in Asia, Caesar in Gaul, the crusades, the conqust of Mexico - an excellent and badly-neglected period - restoration Brits in North Africa, the American rebellion....it's not only Harry Flasman.
   To balance that, I'd feel no sense of loss if a palm-reader informed me that I'd never play ACW land battles in this life or the next. Or the one after that, if you're a Hindu or a certain type of Buddhist.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

Quote from: Leon on 18 July 2010, 12:49:42 AM
Have you seen the "1879-1884 South American Pacific War" range?!

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/19th-Century-c15/1879-1884-South-American-Pacific-War-sc96/

:D ;D :D ;D :D

:P

Yep - I painted a load for you, remember?  ;D 8)

nikharwood

Quote from: lentulus on 18 July 2010, 01:04:02 AM
Depends on how specific you are about the word "period."  There are some conflicts out there that would make you sick to your stomach - but other conflicts in the same general "period" might not.

Interesting...got some examples?

fisheyedbunny

I know how you feel, I'venever been interested in AWI until myself and a friend decided that we wanted to start a completely new period/war. We wrote a few down that we had knew off but didnt have figs for, rolled up AWI and picked up some AWI from Pendraken. Now I have books, pictures and more on the war.

I wonder what war will be next...  :D

lentulus

Quote from: nikharwood on 18 July 2010, 08:28:22 AM
Interesting...got some examples?

Well, I could probably put together a "Rwanda '94" scenario that would make you puke; but the general case of insurgency and civil unrest in the modern world has a lot of game-able bits.

FierceKitty

I want to get back to that suggestion of the Burmese Banana War of 1875.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.