Early ancients

Started by FierceKitty, 02 May 2014, 04:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Nah....Not yet.
Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Back on track, I tested the Newline 10mm. Decent, quite well detailed & proportioned, but lacking in variety - only 1 pose per pack, barring leaders & banners. They'll add some variety to my existing forces. Look like they'll fit well with Pendraken, MM, etc.

FierceKitty

Their peltasts and Celts are two-pose packs.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Wulf

I sit corrected. I also didn't buy any cavalry, so don't know how good they are. I did buy Sumerian battle carts (can't really call them 'chariots'...), and the animals pulling them look more like ponies than asses...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thought Sumerian trolleys were pulled by asses, not horses?
Probably because the horses in those days would be nearer donkey size, as domestication and selective breeding hadn't really taken hold yet...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Wish Newline would stick some pictures up,saying that from what I have seen they look identical to their 20mm ranges. I wonder if some clever moulding technique has been used or maybe Sean has invented a shrink ray
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Wulf

23 May 2014, 09:02:58 AM #36 Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 09:28:25 AM by Wulf
Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 May 2014, 07:48:05 AM
Thought Sumerian trolleys were pulled by asses, not horses?
They were, Onagers, apparently - a kind of semi-domesticated ass. But these just don't have the look of an ass, they look like short-maned ponies. I'm not sure what the difference is, but, l know it when I see it...

Quite possible an appropriate paint job (they are quite distinctly coloured) will transform them.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Fenton on 23 May 2014, 08:53:41 AM
Wish Newline would stick some pictures up,saying that from what I have seen they look identical to their 20mm ranges. I wonder if some clever moulding technique has been used or maybe Sean has invented a shrink ray

I wish! Shrink me some Mexicans, someone!

Ithoriel

At 10mm scale I suspect much of the difference between onagers, donkeys and ponies is in the onager's distinctive coloration

Onager

Donkey

Pony

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Rather an attractive animal, that.

Fenton

Silly question, but would Onagers have looked the same in Sumerian times?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Wulf

They look the same in the carvings, not in colour, of course. Given that they're only semi-domesticated, not much has been done to change them.

FierceKitty

Well, change happens in response to natural pressures too, not only to artifice.

Wulf

Yes, but nothing much has changed in the wild around there, where there still is wild, and they do look the same as the carvings. A few thousand years won't make much difference in evolutionary factors.

Wulf

I now realise what the problem is with the onagers. It's the tails. The tails on these asses are not asses' tails. They've given them pony tails.