Michael’s 10mm WW1 in the Middle East BLOG

Started by WeeWars, 01 May 2014, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

QuoteBlimey, talk about inspirational; I've just bought a copy of ITSLU and the Sudan in 6mm has been replaced by WWI Middle East as my next project.

I'd mention "commission" to Leon, and not the military kind... ;)

Ithoriel

Just want to say that this all looks better in real life than on the blog - and that's saying something!

Also, if there isn't a picture of that truck windscreen on the blog yet, there should be. Post it before those nice young men in their clean white coats come and take you away, ha ha!  ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Quote from: Steve J on 04 August 2014, 06:10:11 PM
Quote from: Dour Puritan on 04 August 2014, 04:44:35 PM
Blimey, talk about inspirational; I've just bought a copy of ITSLU and the Sudan in 6mm has been replaced by WWI Middle East as my next project.
I'd mention "commission" to Leon, and not the military kind... ;)

Don't forget to mention Peter's 1914 British & Germans  and my similar sized order for Sinai 1916 that will be coming when I finish painting Peter's  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 04 August 2014, 04:44:35 PM
Blimey, talk about inspirational; I've just bought a copy of ITSLU and the Sudan in 6mm has been replaced by WWI Middle East as my next project.

I've done Sudan in 6, 10, and 15mm; 10mm is definitely the way to go.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

WeeWars

Phil (Glorfindel) asked me a question in another post

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10624.0.html

about increasing the size of the text on my websites.

My sites are designed to be what-you-see-is-what-you-get, that's to say what I design is exactly what is on my website. However, this means that I have to play a balancing game between people viewing it on handhelds who need things smaller and others who find smaller font sizes hard to read. There is a workaround that I don't like to broadcast. The reason being that the design and especially the pictures will be viewed in a distorted way. Try zooming in and out in your browser. This may be by holding down control at the same time as pressing the + or - key. Because of how the HTML page keeps together as a whole, it is the whole page that zooms in and out unlike general HTML pages where just the text zooms. Hope this helps. But please view at 1:1 as much as possible because the actual resolution will not actually be bettered by zooming in!

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I have generally found your blog really hard to read due to the small font size - but zooming in two levels now makes it readable in an enjoyable way.

I know you want to control the layout tightly to fit with you design concepts, but due to the vast array of screen sizes and platforms now in use, I think you may be better going with a looser design that scales and re-flow to different device sizes.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

WeeWars

Quote from: Gazza on 09 December 2014, 01:54:43 PM
I've just found both your blogs and would like to express my admiration for your excellent work. I'm probably doing a WW1 Middle East project next year, but am still not sure whether to plump for 10 or 15mm.

Thanks, Gazza! As you can see from Post 3 on my WW1 Blog, I contemplated 15mm. I couldn't find a decent figure range, though. The Pendraken ME range could do with attention but with the wide range of WW1 aircraft available and N Scale railway stuff for getting the Hedjaz Railway on the tabletop, I went with 10mm. I think plastic 20mm with trains and planes in the same scale is an option but you get more desert on your tabletop with 10mm!

Cheers, Michael

Gazza

Hmm, I was thinking of using a mixture of MiniFigs and Eureka in 15mm. Aside from the Turks and Imperial forces in their WW1 range MiniFigs also have mounted and dismounted Bedouin in their Colonial Wars range that would probably work well. Still, I have other things to do before I go mad and begin a new project!
'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

NeilCFord

Michael

A quick basing question: Did you stick with 30 x 40 for Artilley or go with something else?

- Neil.

WeeWars

Hi Neil

I haven't got round to committing artillery to bases, mainly because of their tendency to be positioned off table!

I think I would still stick with the size on the blog. In the rules, artillery bases are twice the width of infantry. I still believe 40mm looks too wide. As 25mm is too narrow, 30mm it is. I don't think the nominal ground scale has much relevance for artillery.

Cheers, Michael

NeilCFord

Thank you Michael. I did a test with a bit of card and thought they looked right. Decision made.

- Neil.