Michael’s 10mm WW1 in the Middle East BLOG

Started by WeeWars, 01 May 2014, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Thanks Michael,  interesting photo. I would hate to be advancing over that sort of open terrain. Interesting to see the officer with binoculars,  if I was him I would have found a scruffier shirt.

You are obviously several steps further along the planning process than me  :)

As I said before, very useful for me to make use of some of your thoughts.

I will probably keep asking silly questions, mainly because the answers I get are useful and well thought through  :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

@Ray

Yes, there are some interesting conflicts and what-ifs beyond the taking of Damascus.

@Paul

There's a compromise to be made here as I wouldn't want the terrain making to overrule a gamer's ability to position his MGs where he wants. I'll have to work on that one!

The lighter colour is definitely something to use (selectively) on the tabletop. You might decide that the officer and the rifleman dressed in the lighter colours are part of the MG unit and dressed accordingly. Officers are often seen in the lighter colour. It doesn't help that the Pendraken Turkish officer is dressed in greatcoat! My kneeling officer would help out here.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Which British officer said of the land between the Tigris and Euphrates that if this were the Garden of Eden he would have hated to have seen Hell?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

WeeWars

It was when the Imperial troops were stationed at Qurna, 40 miles from where the Tigris and the Euphrates join, the traditional site of the Garden of Eden. Soldiers left to garrison Qurna expressed the view that Adam and Eve were fortunate to have been expelled from the Garden.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

Thanks for all the much-needed encouragement so far!

Three new posts – kicking off the project – the beginnings of some terrain modelling:

POSTS 8-10:

http://www.michaelscott.name/ww1/ww1blog/ww1blogpost008.htm

Cheers, Michael

Si Tyler

Must admit to being very tempted into something I shouldn't by this.  Reading with interest. :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Good posts Sir. Nicely detailed but also with good pace too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

A great read, I was enjoying them so much I was surprised when I hit your "All for now" page  :o

I like the idea of focusing a project around a specific action, particularly good if you can find a small 'starter' action like this one.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Some nice updates, but I've tried following your Blog but Google Blogger doesn't want to play ball :(.

Derek H

20 May 2014, 08:05:55 AM #26 Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 08:46:40 AM by Derek H
Quote from: Steve J on 20 May 2014, 07:51:35 AM
Some nice updates, but I've tried following your Blog but Google Blogger doesn't want to play ball :(.

That's because it's not actually a blog.  It's a website set up to look like a blog.

Hertsblue

However, is all this going to affect your Napoleonic production?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

WeeWars

Derek – There I was calling you 'inspired' on my not-a-blog.  ;)

Steve, Sorry for that. They're my personal websites that I update regularly. I made them from scratch without commercial blog software. I looked into adding a widget but I don't think it would work as it does with blogger templates – but I'm up to doing whatever it takes, if someone knows if and how it can be done. Meanwhile, another reason to keep visiting the Pendraken Forum!  :)  Open 'Additional Options' when you reply to a post and tick the 'Notify me of replies' box – for regular updates!

Quote from: Hertsblue on 20 May 2014, 08:31:13 AM
However, is all this going to affect your Napoleonic production?

Ray, Only for a couple of weeks. 1809 has been my only wargames project for more than two years. I need to paint a bit of khaki for a change.  :)

Cheers, Michael

Steve J

I check the Pendraken forum far too often to be honest Michael, so don't miss your updates. Now i know it is not a Blog that explains why I can't follow it!