10mm bears

Started by Pockets, 17 July 2010, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Leaders lead, their followers are lead. The dyslexia of long-dead pedants notwithstanding :)

- This message brought to you by The Campaign For The Use Of English As She Is Spoke or Rit :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

To be fair, they did hit the Orc Pike like a lead weight!

Cheatin' Luddite reactionaries. The Orc Pike are the wave of the future, the march of progress, but all the lords and godly leeches want to do is roll back to a miffic past where they can ride around slaughtering the down trodden, pretending to be heroes. In fact, the Orcs are so good, and the reactionaries so bad, it takes a literal act of (a, minor) god to win.

Next time, next time. You can't hold back the flood!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

The bears have made it onto Techno's current sculpting list, so I've not added the more recent requests for them.  They're still up there at No.2 in the Requests and will be appearing this year.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Right then.....

Do I base them on our '10mm' scale......Or a tad bigger for the fantasy scale ? (Probably won't notice the difference ??).....Personal thought is bigger the better.

Wax 5 on standby. :)......I'll put them on the desk next. ;)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

08 January 2020, 07:14:45 AM #185 Last Edit: 08 January 2020, 07:18:05 AM by FierceKitty
Give us a berward too, so that non-fantasy armies can have a colourful vignette for camps.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Stroll on.....I just looked up the relative sizes of bears......

I'll probably base these on the Brown bear, rather than the grizzly....'cos they're bigger....But for the one standing upright, on its hind legs, that's going to make 'him' about 21mm tall.  :o :o

IIRC the only bear that I've ever seen 'in the flesh' was a polar bear, at some zoo or other when I was about 13...strangely, I don't remember that bear striking me as massive....maybe it wasn't fully grown. :-\

(Polar bears are apparently even taller than brown bears if they stand upright...URK !!) :o

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 10 January 2020, 10:44:13 AM
Stroll on.

...strangely, I don't remember that bear striking me...

Cheers - Phil

He looked at you, saw all the things you'd be doing to yourself, and realised that striking you would be wasted effort.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

I'll probably base these on the Brown bear, rather than the grizzly....'cos they're bigger....But for the one standing upright, on its hind legs, that's going to make 'him' about 21mm tall.  :o :o

IIRC the only bear that I've ever seen 'in the flesh' was a polar bear, at some zoo or other when I was about 13...strangely, I don't remember that bear striking me as massive....maybe it wasn't fully grown. :-

(Polar bears are apparently even taller than brown bears if they stand upright...URK !!) :o

Cheers - Phil

Last time I saw a polar bear it was swimming in a glass fronted enclosure.  When it put its paws on the glass they were the size of dinner plates.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Just found this:-

Height:
Polar bear: 1.8 – 2.4 m,
Giant panda: 60 – 90 cm,
Brown bear: 70 – 150 cm

Length:
Polar bear: 2.4 – 3 m,
Giant panda: 1.2 – 1.9 m,

Mass:
Polar bear: 450 kg,
Giant panda: 70 – 100 kg,

Apparently a Grizzley can weigh 700Kg
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Black bears are 1.5m, stand 2m tall, and can take the roof off a car to find food easier than Techno slicing his finger open on a can of Spam!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them.  We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity.  Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop.  Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper
spray.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

O Dinas Powys

IIRC the only bear that I've ever seen 'in the flesh' was a polar bear, at some zoo or other when I was about 13...strangely, I don't remember that bear striking me as massive....maybe it wasn't fully grown. :-

Cheers - Phil

Brown bears are the most naturally variable wild species on earth, showing size variance to rival domestic dogs  :-B

A number of scientists have gone mad studying bears because of this - I remember once reading a paper where someone claimed there were 35+ distinct sub-species of brown bear in the USA alone  8-}

If some of the figures are going to be armoured, polar bears might be the best to aim for proportion wise (they're fairly gracile compared to other bears): sticking armour onto a big, fluffy Kodiak/grizzly base might make them too bulky.

Cheers!

Meirion

PS My palaeontology M.Sc dissertation was on whether you could reliably differentiate between cave and brown bears just using the size of their teeth - you'd better (not?) ask my wife whether studying bears affected my sanity...  :-$

PPS You can...  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

I've done a quick check against one of the new fantasy figures*....and 21mm tall for the bear should work pretty well (I think).

Cheers - Phil

*I nearly gave a much too big a clue as to what one lot are...Not saying anything until Leon 'sez I can.' :D

paulr

I remember years ago reading a sign in Yosemite warning that if you left food in your vehicle/campsite that caused a bear to attack it you would be fined :o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!