10mm bears

Started by Pockets, 17 July 2010, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

There is no mention of any Pike armed Orc types in the Lord of the Rings books. It was something they wee armed with only in the film , I expect for the visual effect.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

zackzeta

i think four legged bears would be best since they can used as mounts or just bears, which i know a lot of armies would like to have them as cavalry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Prod.

Just because...  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

d_Guy

I would like to dedicate this thread to this guy if it's OK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bears
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 03 November 2015, 09:29:36 PM
There is no mention of any Pike armed Orc types in the Lord of the Rings books. It was something they wee armed with only in the film , I expect for the visual effect.

They were in the film to spread the under-recognised truth that the best way to defeat pikemen is to charge them frontally with cavalry over difficult terrain.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now, more than ever, we need armoured bears
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 December 2019, 08:37:49 PM
Now, more than ever, we need armoured bears

Well.....Bears have now made it onto my list of things to make......Along with absolutely SHED loads of other stuff. :o :o :o
I'll ask sir if I can do them soon. :)

Though I think the armoured ones will have to wait until I've made the 'plain' ones, to make things easier.

Getting them 'the right size' is probably going to be the hardest thing.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

One one answer to that un WORK FASTER

Nothing like being predicable... ;D ;D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Dunnadd on 23 January 2015, 10:07:33 PM
GordonY wrote
;D yeah - i suppose the LOTR films could have been worse. I was annoyed enough that the Rohirrim charged pikemen (well pike-uruks) in the Helm's Deep scene in the films, pikemen who had their pikes levelled against them, and rode them down. I was all "that's historically inaccurate, cavalry couldn't ride down pikemen" (unless the pikemen were disorganised by archery or spread out, or they hit them in the flank or rear while they were engaged to the front etc)

Stuff I learned form Lord of the Rings films.

1. Besieging a fortress - bring Pikes.
2. Attacking pikes - send horsemen downhill against their front - steeper the better.
3. Orc henchmen are terrified by shadow-puppets.
4. Dark lord with a massive trollkind thrall - leave it at home on door winding duty.
5. Use gunpowder only once, revert to battering rams for every following siege.
6. G-g-g-g-hosts!!!!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Pikes, charging horses and sunrise...

FierceKitty

03 December 2019, 01:53:12 AM #177 Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 02:01:31 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 02 December 2019, 07:23:55 PM
Stuff I learned form Lord of the Rings films.

1. Besieging a fortress - bring pikes.
2. Attacking pikes - send horsemen downhill against their front - steeper the better.
3. Orc henchmen are terrified by shadow-puppets.
4. Dark lord with a massive trollkind thrall - leave it at home on door winding duty.
5. Use gunpowder only once, revert to battering rams for every following siege.
6. G-g-g-g-hosts!!!!!

7.  10, 000 = irresistible host that will bring about a new Darkness without end.
8.  Correct use of air superiority - use it exclusively on rescue missions.
9.  Correct function of scout - immediate impetuous attack.
10. Tactical response to being outnumbered, with steep mountains on both flanks - contract line to allow enemy to surround one, and adopt a solid formation to prevent most of one's force from hitting anyone.
11. Shields are for flapping unused at one's side, never for blocking or deflecting an attack.
12. If elephants are far bigger than usual, horses cease to be afraid of them.
13. Lines from the novel should if possible be included in different contexts where they make no sense (mind you, this happens in the James Bond movies too, not to mention the Nibelungenlied).

Ithoriel

To be fair, the charging cavalry coming out of the sunrise are lead by the equivalent of an archangel!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Are they lead? I thought they looked like resin.