Barkerese

Started by FierceKitty, 23 April 2014, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Just been reading The Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome. Whoooey, and I thought there was some dismal punctuation on this forum!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

Where do you suppose they get it from?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But - Mr Barker is technically correct, just unreadable with sentences a complete novel long.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Hence why I could never deal with DBA until WADBAG produced the unofficial guide.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

burnaby64

"The Heart & The Rose: The Battle of Linlithgow Bridge 1526" by Jonathan Cooper (Partizan, 2004) has certainly never had a glance from a copy editor. It is painful to read but essential as I am starting a project set in Scotland between 1514 and 1528. I don't know how publishers have the gall to issue this shoddy workmanship.

Leman

Have you tried The Great War Explained? It evidently glided straight past the proof reader's office, and it cost £19.95!

burnaby64

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 23 April 2014, 08:11:24 PM
Have you tried The Great War Explained? It evidently glided straight past the proof reader's office, and it cost £19.95!

Thanks for the warning! I'll give it a miss in that case.

Leman

E.g. "Japan.......had beaten Russia decisively in the naval war of 1906." And that's only page 4!

cameronian

Wawro misdates Fontenoy on page one of the APW.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Hertsblue

Chris Brown in his introduction to Kohima 1944, one of the Battle Story series, describes Kohima as "a Burmese hill town". It is, of course, in the Assam province of India.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Don't you just love experts. I have a regular opponent who would like to beat Wawro to death with a copy of his book on the Franco-Prussian War (1871-1873??).

mollinary

Am I your regular (?) opponent, or is there another sentient being in the universe?  We should be told!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

No, there is another (Alec Guiness). He's a mate of mine who lives on the Wirral and did a fair bit on the FPW as part of his Military History Degree. His views on Wawro caused much consternation among his lecturers. His rejoinder to this was 'this is my war!'

Last Hussar

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 24 April 2014, 09:58:04 PM
No, there is another (Alec Guiness). He's a mate of mine who lives on the Wirral ...'

You can tell it is Dour Puritan, by the accuracy of his dice rolling.

Roll a 6 and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Use the errata, Luke.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman