28mm Milanese Army

Started by Leman, 21 April 2014, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

A friend of mine is putting together a late C15th/early C16th Venetian army in 28mm for fighting Impetus battles. I decided to oppose him with a Milanese army. I already had the makings of a couple of Swiss pike blocks, so I started with those.

I then had a go at a base of Milanese light infantry.

I then tried out some plastic Perry knights for the Famiglia Ducale. This is how they started.

Finally, here they are based up with some Old Glory gensdarmes standing in for the moment. Next up will be halberd skirmish support for the Swiss.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Very nicely done and very impressive.

Some beautiful bits of detailing.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Thanks guys. This is quite a big project and I may have to put the 10mm on the back burner for a couple of months. Now lets go and see what Auntie Beeb has made of Jamaica Inn.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Renaissance Italy is certainly colourful in terms of their armies 8). Great job BTW.

Techno

Leman

Now I'm working on a base of Swiss halberdiers for one of the pike blocks. I base 5 (4 shown) on a skirmish base which has impetus. these are GW plastic figures bought several years ago when these were the only hard plastic figures available and were still reasonably priced. I have given them a sort of uniform of cantonal colours to differentiate them from Landsknechts, using the Foundry Paint System, Bavarian Blue, which I also used on some of the Artizan pikemen shown in the earlier photo. I also base infantry on pennies for painting and then base the pennies directly to my Impetus bases.

Not being a competition gamer I have gone with the club doctrine of using 100mm frontage for 28mm multiple base games. We now have a number of armies based up in this way with which we play Dux Bellorum, Impetus and the club's own rule set DB Big.

FierceKitty

Everyone (including me) yields to the temptation to put Swiss in cantonal colours.

toxicpixie

Bloody hell, they're nice :D

Italian Wars stuff is always so colourful. We've done some in 15mm and I'm tempted to join in, the big pike blocks for Impetus really grabbed me. However, as I just sold off almost all my 15mm I've resisted!

But that tempts me to 28mm despite a lack of opponents :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

Italian wars were my first Pendraken armies too (with a handful of Irregular Miniatures).

toxicpixie

I just like the look of massed unit bases, with loads of pike cramming on behind with the "dopplesoldners" or command (or more pike!) in the front en masse. Using a deep unit base you can also set the figures at the back and have the lowered pikes extending forwards to the front base edge so you can line them up against the enemy without tangling up, or breaking pikes in transit etc :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 April 2014, 01:37:20 PM
I just like the look of massed unit bases, with loads of pike cramming on behind with the "dopplesoldners" or command (or more pike!) in the front en masse. Using a deep unit base you can also set the figures at the back and have the lowered pikes extending forwards to the front base edge so you can line them up against the enemy without tangling up, or breaking pikes in transit etc :)

Yes that's what I went for with the second block; there are mainly Old Glory Swiss but with a few Foundry Swiss with levelled pikes pushing through from the back.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Really like those DP, keep up the greatness. 8)
Will
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Each time I see this I get seriously tempted to not buy anymore odd bits of ACW for our off and on Fire & Fury games and go for the odd BA of 10mm landsknectes for a slow foray into Italian Wars...