If the Lord Spares Us - WW1 Mons & Middle East

Started by paulr, 26 April 2014, 09:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

My mate, who is looking at Mons era WW1 is looking at "If the Lord Spares Us" by Too Fat Lardies so a few questions for any who have played them

1. Overall how good a game do these give for Brigade level actions e.g. Nery?

2. For 10mm what do people do about ground scale and basing (2 figures on a 2" square base seems sparse)?

3. For Mons era do you need the "Storm of Dice" supplement or is it more for trench warfare?

4. Are there any army lists or organisations online we can look at (to work out our orders)?

5. For mounted forces do people have both mounted and dismounted version for all units, how long do troops stay on their horses?

It is tempting for me to do the NZ Mounted Rifles in the Sinai as when I was younger I knew one of the veterans

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

I've used them and find they're enjoyable.

They're one of the older sets so the writing and editing leaves something to be desired compared to more recent offerings.

1) They're not designed for western front, they work well for what they are designed for, I'm not expert enough to know how well they translate.

2) I used 2 figures on a 20mm base and left all ranges as is - figures are on my Flickr Page (see sig)

3) Don't know the Storm of Dice supplement - there have been several re-workings for western front in the magazines though

4) There is good organisation info in ITLSU but its not western front - google or ask on the TFL Forum you'll get a bunch of advice

5) For Mespot mounted tend to stay mounted - dismounting would be an off table tactical decision before the action.

paulr

Thanks Zippee, very nice figures

The temptation is growing :-\ =P~
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I actually play Square Bashing, but don't use the Peter Pig basing for my 10mm figures. Instead I use 3 infantry or 2 cavalry on a 30mmx20mm base and artillery on a 30mmx30mm base.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!