Kuki Piquet, 1944

Started by Hertsblue, 13 April 2014, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Here are a few pics from the third game of our Siege of Kohima series, played at Salute yesterday. The terrain is, of course, Kalistra - necessary as each of the four projected games is played on a different terrain.

The hill of Kuki Piquet forms the centre of the series of hills that make up Kohima Ridge. After the fall of Jail Hill and FSD Hill to the Japanese in the first week of the siege the Allied perimeter has shrunk to half its original size. If Kuki Piquet is lost then only Garrison Hill and IGH Hill will remain and relief is still some days off.

The Allied position on the crest of Kuki Piquet. Bear in mind that it is night, the rain is driving down and the gradient is such that the Japanese in places have to create extemporised ladders in order to advance.

On the right the Japanese artillery prepares to support 7th Company as it begins its struggle up the hill.

The Japanese left (8th Company) leaves its starting position by the track.

The Allied front line prepares to receive the Japanese attack. The Japanese would deliberately cry out to try to provoke the defenders into firing and giving away their positions.

8th Company nears its assault positions. So far its casualties have been minimal.

7th Company comes under telling artillery fire from the Indian 3.7" mountain howitzers at Jotsoma two miles to the west. 1st platoon stalls and goes to ground.

A storm of Bren gun fire hits 8th Company and casualties mount rapidly.

Two platoons of 7th Company storm the Allied trenches and clear them at bayonet point. The Allied survivors fall back to the second line. The price in casualties for the Japanese has been high.

The defenders of Kuki Piquet consolidate in their second line. The Japanese attackers have shot their bolt and no amount of screaming by their NCOs will drive them forward again. Their casualties have been horrendous and dawn is breaking. A new attack will have to wait for the next night.

Historical note: it took the Japanese four nights to finally clear Kuki Piquet and at a dreadful cost in casualties. Those 96 hours were probably vital in preventing Kohima from falling.

The fourth and last game in the series, Kohima Relieved will take place at SELWG in October.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

A very good looking and interesting game  :)

I'm not sure how you are representing the hills, perhaps it doesn't come across in the pictures :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

burnaby64

A very impressive lay-out indeed.

Techno

Looks splendid, Ray ! :)
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: paulr on 13 April 2014, 09:13:18 PM
A very good looking and interesting game  :)

I'm not sure how you are representing the hills, perhaps it doesn't come across in the pictures :-\

They don't, Paul, probably due to my woeful photography. The system is actually three-dimensional and you can build up hills layer upon layer and then fill in the "steps" with sloped tiles. The two hills at each end of the table are seven layers high. Mind you, if we had built the slopes accurately all the figures would have ended up at the bottom - it was that steep in reality!

www.rulesdepot.net

realthing

Looks very good and an interesting way of dealing with some very challenging terrain. Good to see a neglected battle being refought.

mart678

Was nice talking to you on Saturday I was impressed good looking game

Martin

Subedai

As at Tunbridge Wells, lovely terrain -albeit a different layout- and still very nice looking figures, but still no Tennis Court.   ;) :D
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Hertsblue

The Japs captured one side of the tennis court (as they did historically) at Skirmish in Sydenham in March. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear again in the game sequence. Final battle will be at SELWG in October, when it will be the Anglo-Indians doing the attacking. Better get painting, I suppose.... 

www.rulesdepot.net

Subedai

Looking forward to seeing that.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Norm

Nice AAR, I particularly like the slit trenches that have been put onto the hex templates.

Techno

No trying to sneak in without us noticing Norm !
A very warm welcome to the friendliest (and sometimes the maddest  ;)) forum around.
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Quote from: Norm on 24 April 2014, 08:42:15 PM
Nice AAR, I particularly like the slit trenches that have been put onto the hex templates.

Thanks, Norm. When the first line defences are overrun the populated trenches are replaced by empty ones and the populated ones are moved back to form the second line.

Welcome to the forum, BTW, you'll like it here - we're all slightly cracked....

www.rulesdepot.net

Hertsblue

Quote from: Subedai on 17 April 2014, 07:16:25 PM
As at Tunbridge Wells, lovely terrain -albeit a different layout- and still very nice looking figures, but still no Tennis Court.   ;) :D

Just for you, Subedai. From Game 2 The DC's Bungalow.

www.rulesdepot.net

paulr

Very very nice  =D>

I think the label was a little redundant  :)

Any one who couldn't recognise it probably couldn't read the label anyway  ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!