Nick Svendsen: The 1st Schleswig-Holstein War

Started by burnaby64, 27 March 2014, 03:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnaby64

I was wondering if anyone else has read this and what they thought of it. It is the only game in town as far this war is concerned, all the other material being in Danish or German (and the only foreign language I can read comfortably is Latin :() so there is nothing with which to compare it. It has some useful maps, which could be more exact, and some OOBs but I found that the actual material was thin and inadequate. He says, for example, "It was during these skirmishes that one of the few encounters of the war between cavalry took place." And that's your lot: no clue as to units involved, what the outcome was, what was the role of cavalry in the war or why clashes between cavalry units were so rare. I felt that paying £25 for a poorly copy-edited ('Lord Palmerstone' makes an appearance) paperback of 155 pages was a bit much.

cameronian

I'm pretty sure Mike Embree of the CWS has written or is writing a book on the SHW
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

burnaby64

That's very good news indeed. Thank you for passing it on--I'll look out for it.

burnaby64

I've just looked it out on Amazon and, sadly, it is the Second S-W War that he covers. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.

FierceKitty

Fortasse nos opportet pro legibus lvdorvm lingva latina uti.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

burnaby64

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 April 2014, 03:33:28 AM
Fortasse nos opportet pro legibus lvdorvm lingva latina uti.

While that would be appropriate for Romans, other tongues would, in all fairness, have to be used in discussion of other periods and I don't think the fonts on here run to cuneiform :)

Leman

Have you tried The Armies of the First Schleswig-Holstein War by Ralph Weaver from Partizan Press (Caliver Books)? It gives an overview of the campaigns and is very good on the uniforms and flags used, and it's in English.  :-bd
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

I know, but one tries desperately to get some payback for the time one wasted on a lingo that nobody speaks and that has almost no significant literature!

burnaby64

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 09 April 2014, 12:49:43 PM
Have you tried The Armies of the First Schleswig-Holstein War by Ralph Weaver from Partizan Press (Caliver Books)? It gives an overview of the campaigns and is very good on the uniforms and flags used, and it's in English.  :-bd

Yes, thanks. I'm using him for uniform guides and very good he is, too. I've also found some more detailed OOBs on the Yahoo Group so things are looking up.

burnaby64

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 April 2014, 12:50:32 PM
I know, but one tries desperately to get some payback for the time one wasted on a lingo that nobody speaks and that has almost no significant literature!

Of course it is silver to Greek's gold, but much of the silver is very finely wrought. And I did once communicate in Latin with the Guest Master at a French Benedictine Abbey so there was some payback  :).

FierceKitty

Lucky man. Only time I've tried was on my first visit to Italy, before I'd learned the modern language at all. You'd have hoped a Franciscan sacristan would have understood a request in Latin to let one in to admire the frescoes, wouldn't you?

burnaby64

You would indeed think so. Perhaps the Benedictines are more erudite. I should have owned up earlier to the very tangible payback I received from my years of learning Latin: for the best part of twenty years it helped to pay the mortgage as I was teaching the rudiments of the tongue to 12 and 13 year olds. And, yes, I did have leather patches on the elbows of my tweed jacket. :)

Leman

OMG! No teachers like that in my long career. Mind you I was in Bootle (not the Lake District one). Tempus fugit eh? Mind you never found any use for Latin  :). Bit of a sinister statement.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

burnaby64

Yup, I went for the stereotype model (including pipe).  :)