How do you shop at shows?

Started by Nosher, 25 March 2014, 07:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you shop at shows?

Rigid budget and rigid wish list planned months in advance that I do not deviate from
0 (0%)
Rigid budget and shopping list planned months in adavnce that i deviate from a bit
8 (29.6%)
Rigid budget and shopping list planned months in adavnce that i deviate from far too easily
2 (7.4%)
Budget, no plan that I stick to
1 (3.7%)
Budget, no plan that i exceed a bit
3 (11.1%)
Budget, no plan that I exceed a lot
0 (0%)
No budget, no plan just shop
4 (14.8%)
Budget and plan that both go out of the window once I step across the threshold...
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: 01 April 2014, 08:19:00 AM

Nosher

Following on from the What are picking up at Salute thread, I'm interested to know how people shop at shows...
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

For me generally I will have a pre-order with Pendraken that I collect at a show. After that it is a bit of a wander to see if there is anything that catches my attention. With 10mm being my predominant scale, there is very little to tempt me at shows other than books, as I make most of my own terrain etc.

Dr.Falkenhayn

i mostly buy Stuff from US based Companies at Shows,simply cos Postage is a real Killer Ordering Stuff afterwards via the Onlineshops  8)
Halt die Ohren steif!

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Generally I know what I want, but add on bits that I see. Problem these days is that traders I would like to see aren't at shows I can get to. There is also far too much 28mm stuff.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

get2grips

Uusally go with the intention of getting a couple of things I want then wander round buying anything that "grabs me".

Hertsblue

As with most guys here, impulse buys rule! Since I have loads of periods going in various scales anything historical fits. If nothing grabs me there's always my old pal Dave and his book stand to visit.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

Sadly we dont really have any shows over here

We used to go to England and Scotland for them but it just too expensive in the end, ans with the advent of the internet and online shopping dont really have to anymore

Though it would be nice to go to a big one again sometime
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Rigid budget, rigid plan, oh wait, cool, wow, new scale, figures, period, terrain, a nice book, a....

I've been much better recently, mainly due to demo'ing and not getting the time to slope round properly :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

25 March 2014, 10:41:49 AM #8 Last Edit: 25 March 2014, 10:45:28 AM by Ithoriel
Too broke not to have a budget but too many scales/ periods I play to have a plan.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

I go with good intentions. I have a box of  "bought at show but never used."

:(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

i normally have a vauge budget, and a plan to pick up a few definite bits.  If I see something i really want I exceed the budget by the amount I need to.

However having seen the various Horder shows on TV and realising how much kit I have i have reduced the amount I buy.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Subedai

I normally work to a plan of four. 1) Work out beforehand what I need -get those first. 2) What I want -see if there is anything about. 3) What I would like -have a browse and 4) What takes my fancy if I have any of my budget left after the other three.

That all fell flat the other day when I went to Tunbridge Wells. Top of my need list was static grass and a couple of specific Vallejo paints. Got them no probs. Top of my want list was some 10/15mm Sci Fi figures for RPG -no-one was there. So (3) came into play and I browsed. Nothing from (4) so that was it. I actually came home with cash! If the requirements exceed the budget then I will go over...slightly.

Might have a re-think for Broadside in June as I've just noticed Brigade Games on the Traders List.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

For crisis i pre ordered with pendraken, and then went around and bought the stuff that i want that is big and more expensive to ship. ( for example hexon boards)

And then an impulse' buy here and there.

Nosher

It must be the tight fisted git in me (and its been a decade since I made it to a show) I generally go with a rigid plan/rigid budget and come home with cash in my hand usually with half of the items I wanted as half of the traders I hoped would be there weren't and there was nothing much taking my fancy that didn't require an enormous investment.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Albie Bach

I normally go with a shopping list of specific items, a more general list (e.g. scenery for my latest project) and a budget of £100. This is flexible in case I see something really good.
In addition I usually have at least one pre-order to pick up.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)