BKC game at Call to Muster

Started by Dave Fairlamb, 22 March 2014, 05:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fairlamb

22 March 2014, 05:29:59 PM Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 04:17:50 PM by Leon
Hello Pendraken fans, me and the guys from the club have had a cracking good day at call to muster and more importantly put on a demo game. American para's landing at  Sainte-Mère-Église.

Quick bat-rep for you then;

The German forces were split into garrisoning the town and reserve forces that arrived on random turns (D6). All of the American forces rolled before the game and roughly 1/3 of their number were scattered and unable to arrive until turn 6! (these chaps play a big part later on)
here is the table and initial set up

The under strength Para battalions then dropped in safely with little or no German opposition in good areas surrounding the town

Due to a stroke of luck (a mixed Stug company with a grenadier company and a Hummel rolled a 1! first turn deployment) one of the German reserve units arrived right behind a un-expecting American Para battalion. After initial success it did not take the Elite American Para's long to deploy their 57mm AT guns and they made short work of the Armoured units.

Meanwhile on the other side of town a Mechanised German formation rolled in to re-enforce the defenders, but heavy and accurate American artillery and direct fire (mixed with a unbelievable command blunder) slowed the mechanised attack right down and destroyed half of its armour.

As the game went on the cleverly deployed AT guns that wrecked havoc with the Stug's found themselves under a counter attack as a battalion of Elite German's arrived from reserve on the road behind them! OH DEAR! :'(

Soon the game became a slog fest between the surviving American Para's now assaulting the town and the beleaguered garrison. The German forces outside the town were unable to get in as they on large feared the close assault skills of the Para's. The mechanised formation from earlier made some impact but were unable to greatly effect the now well dug in Americans.

With half of the town on-fire and both the Para's and German reserves looking very ragged, the scattered American forces (from the first turn) showed up, luckily for them on the board edge nearest the town. after a few good completed orders the assaulted the town and cleared out the battered garrison (just like John Wayne in the longest day!).

Game over, the American forces occupied 3 out the four remaining buildings  :d

Hope you enjoy!  :D

EDIT: Pics embedded.
Dave from Section 8 war games club

Steve J

Thanka for sharing and sounds like a great game :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice one, good table and nice report.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Looks good!

Only one negative thought .... stop reminding me I need to get on and paint my own German stuff :)

Seriously, inspiring stuff. Thanks for this.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Jim Ando

nice report Dave

pity about the yellow lights.

Enjoyed the day.

Jim

skywalker

Good report, were you on the next table to us (Redcar Ironbeards with our 15mm Sherman gravyard :-[)

Pavlovs_Dog

Fantastic looking game ,  thanks for the great pictures .

Jerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The ruins were effective....good game.

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jim Ando

Cheers

Dave Fairlamb supplied the explosions they had battery powered tea lights in them.

Can`t see on the photo`s but they looked great.

Jim

Edmund2011

Great game and table! Thanks for sharing  :)