How i paint figs. kev

Started by kev1964, 08 March 2014, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Thanks kev - great tutorial  8)

Zippee

Indeed, very useful - and the results are inspirational.

I love how crisp they are. . . but how do you get the brightness and clarity when painting on black, for me this has always led to murky dull colours but yours seem vibrant but deep?

kev1964

Thanks for all the comments chaps, and Hi Thogrid.
The vivid colours are a result of the 2/3 coats i use, sometimes it seems a waste of time using 2 colours on a rifle, but it does make the final colour stand out,(especially when using black undercoat)  then a matt varnish to finish, i use  Revell matt 2, it also aids to a stronger colour.
As for the basing i have been using the white pummace from vallejo, (just tried looking to order more but because it comes in a 200ml tub i carn't get it posted here anymore) then a basecoat of flat earth followed with a dry brush of plague brown, last highlight is Iraqui sand. Next a sprinkle of field grass (particularly around figure bases) and then a few grass tufts.
Hope this helps,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Is the Revell Matt 2 a water based lacquer Kev?

kev1964

No Steve, it's enamel, i have to clean the brush with turps, it is pretty quick drying though, i can handle them after a couple of hours. I  have never used the new types, mainly because i carn't get them here but i tend to stick with what works well for me.

kev

Steve J

Thanks Kev. I will try the Vallejo lacquer that is water based, to see how that fares. The stuff I use is rather satin in finish so makes stuff a bit too shiny, especially for armoured vehicles.

Matt J

great tutorial Kev - a straight forward technique (no dark arts involved) that you produce stunning results with. The black outline really makes the colours 'pop'.
I particularly like your technique for holding the figures.

A question if I may - how did you get into figure painting (you've mentioned before you aren't a gamer)?

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

kev1964

Thanks Matt, i must say i was most impressed with your work, the tank was exceptionally good and a great idea, also great to see those  Mongols.
As for getting in to fig painting, the usual doing them when your a kid , then about 10 years ago i inherited a shed load of figs( mainly 6mm) from a relative, i did paint up a few but due to work and family commitments i had no spare time to enjoy them, or find a club and game.  We moved to Hungary five years ago with a view to being reasonably self sufficient,  but after 2 years of ' playing at it  'to be honest, i realized i had to earn some money, so decided to paint full time. Luckily it's working out , i probably paint for 6-7 hours over the day , usually an hour painting then an hour outside and so on, that way it gives my eyes and back a bit of a rest  ;D. Hopefully i can keep doing it for a few more years yet.

kev

Thogrid

Quote from: kev1964 on 10 March 2014, 06:55:34 AM
Thanks for all the comments chaps, and Hi Thogrid.
The vivid colours are a result of the 2/3 coats i use, sometimes it seems a waste of time using 2 colours on a rifle, but it does make the final colour stand out,(especially when using black undercoat)  then a matt varnish to finish, i use  Revell matt 2, it also aids to a stronger colour.
As for the basing i have been using the white pummace from vallejo, (just tried looking to order more but because it comes in a 200ml tub i carn't get it posted here anymore) then a basecoat of flat earth followed with a dry brush of plague brown, last highlight is Iraqui sand. Next a sprinkle of field grass (particularly around figure bases) and then a few grass tufts.
Hope this helps,

kev

A-ha!  I wondered...I use the Vallejo pumice as well for my 15s/28s (sand based themes) but "cheat" and put a darker brown acrylic paint in the container with the pumice and mix well (trying to cut down on a step).   ;)  Now I know it will work on the 10mm toys too!  Thanks again for sharing!

And thanks to all for such a warm welcome!   :-h

Matt J

Thanks Kev

It sounds like you're living the good life!

I'd love to do something similar just got to wait to the kids grow up and leave home in about oh.. 20 years or so  :(

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Fenton

Quote from: Thogrid on 10 March 2014, 05:12:58 PM
A-ha!  I wondered...I use the Vallejo pumice as well for my 15s/28s (sand based themes) but "cheat" and put a darker brown acrylic paint in the container with the pumice and mix well (trying to cut down on a step).   ;)  Now I know it will work on the 10mm toys too!  Thanks again for sharing!

And thanks to all for such a warm welcome!   :-h

I have been recommended the use of Vallejo Hull REd to mix with the pumice..still havnt tried it
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

Quote from: kev1964 on 10 March 2014, 04:47:28 PM
Thanks Matt, i must say i was most impressed with your work, the tank was exceptionally good and a great idea, also great to see those  Mongols.
As for getting in to fig painting, the usual doing them when your a kid , then about 10 years ago i inherited a shed load of figs( mainly 6mm) from a relative, i did paint up a few but due to work and family commitments i had no spare time to enjoy them, or find a club and game.  We moved to Hungary five years ago with a view to being reasonably self sufficient,  but after 2 years of ' playing at it  'to be honest, i realized i had to earn some money, so decided to paint full time. Luckily it's working out , i probably paint for 6-7 hours over the day , usually an hour painting then an hour outside and so on, that way it gives my eyes and back a bit of a rest  ;D. Hopefully i can keep doing it for a few more years yet.

kev

Why Hungary?  Family connections?or just went for it?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ace of Spades

Inspiring work Kev!
Thanks for sharing. This will certainly come in handy when I start on some extra's for my new project!

Cheers,
Rob

hetairoi

Nice tutorial Kev! Though I would also appreciate some info about where can I purchase a laser-brush like the one you used to paint the fingers on 10mm miniatures!  :-\

I have a question about your bases, wich I like very much. Do you trim the miniature's stand? Your bases look very thin...
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!

Glorfindel

I appreciate the tutorial Kev - top notch painting & very inspirational.   

The effect, both at close-up and distance, is amazing.   

Interesting to see how you achieve this by really emphasising contrast
and with very bright colours.   Real food for thought (particularly as I
will soon be looking at an LOA army).

Thank you,

Phil