And the Winners Are...!

Started by Leon, 05 March 2014, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

05 March 2014, 09:20:11 PM Last Edit: 05 March 2014, 10:17:56 PM by Leon
This year's Painting Competition had 214 entries altogether and once more raised the bar for what can be achieved in this scale.  We'd like to thank all of the entrants for taking the time and effort to join in.

8)

The Judges never seem to have an easy job on their hands, and this year was no different.  There were several close categories, and we've got a few tied 2nd places this year as well!

Just for info, each judge had 6 points in total to award.  3 points went to their 1st place choice, 2 points to their 2nd place, and 1 point to their 3rd choice.  The points from all 5 judges were added together to give us our winners and runners-up.

And so, without further ado, the winners are:

Foot - Pre-20th C. (31 entries)

This category was one of the hardest to judge, with so many entries deserving credit.  In the end we had one clear winner picking up maximum points, and then two more tied for 2nd place.

1st place: AWI Continental Firing Line, by Matt of Munslow - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and 2 sets of rules from Warlord Games!

Joint 2nd place: French Listenois Dragoons, by kev1964 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Joint 2nd place: Gardes Françaises command stand, by BH62 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Foot - 20th C. (14 entries)

This category had the lowest number of entries, with 5 of them picking up some points from the judges.  The points were more spread out in this category, with the winners only just inching past the competition.

1st place: British Para's, by BH62 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and and a goodie bag from Warbases!

2nd place: Colonial British Infantry, by Ace of Spades - wins £10 Pendraken credit and a copy of Bolt Action from Warlord Games!

Mounted (29 entries)

This year the Mounted category saw a lot more interest, with almost double the entries this time around.  The points were split among seven of the entries, with a very even split among them, and another tie for 2nd place.  In fact, only 3 points separated 1st place from 5th!  There was some very tidy painting in this one, making for some outstanding entries.

1st place: AWI Dragoons, by Goat Major - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a £25 voucher from Colonel Bill's!

Joint 2nd place: Bavarian Dragoons, by steam flunky - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Joint 2nd place: Mongols, by Matt of Munslow - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Vehicle (46 entries)

The Vehicle category had the highest number of entries this year, with some excellent work on show.  There were a couple which stood out, including the winner who gained a clean sweep of 15 points from the Judges!

1st place: Zombie Centurion, by Matt of Munslow - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a subscription to 'Miniature Wargames with Battlegames!

2nd place: Stug III, by BH62 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Fantasy & Sci-Fi (19 entries)

A few less entries this year for the Fantasy category, but certainly no reduction in quality!  This one was very tightly contested, and in the end we had a single winner and then 3 entries tied for 2nd place!  Luckily for us, 2 of them were by the same person, but unluckily for him, he might have won the category if he'd only entered once!

1st place: Zombies, by Matt of Munslow - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a £20 voucher from Wargames Emporium!

Joint 2nd place: Spread Out, by Dr Falkenhayn - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

and

Joint 2nd place: Patrol, by Dr Falkenhayn

Joint 2nd place: Easterling Unit, by Hetairoi - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Open - Single Base (45 entries)

As with last year, this category was the hardest to judge, with so many entries deserving something for their effort.  There were 8 entries who picked up some points, more than any other category, and in the end we had only a single point between the top 3, including a tie for 1st place.  We'll have to chat with the two winners here and see what we can do to split the prize.  

Joint 1st place: Austrian High Command, by steam flunky - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a split of a 4Ground £30 voucher!

Joint 1st place: LoA fire base, by kev1964 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a split of a 4Ground £30 voucher!

2nd place: Medieval Command, by Bishop Lord - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Open - Army! (30 entries)

As above, this one was a very difficult cateogry to judge, with several entries all competing for the top spot.  There were some excellent examples of making the bases work in an army, which certainly caught the eye.  There was one clear winner in the end, picking up another maximum 15 points from the judges.

1st place: LoA Army, by kev1964 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a Hamlet and Town set from Total Battle Miniatures!

2nd place: Hungarians, by Wee Wars - wins £10 Pendraken credit, and a Village Set from Total Battle Miniatures!

And there they are!  A huge congratulations to all of our winners, we'll be contacting you each individually to get your prizes sorted out.  There was such a high standard of work this year that it was very difficult to pick out the winners, so thanks to our judges for their time as well!  

Also, thanks to everyone who has taken part, I hope you enjoyed it and that it at least helped motivate you to get some painting done!  

Coming up soon will be the People's Choice Award, where all the entries who achieved at least a point (plus a few of my own favourites!) will go into a public poll to decide a winner.  The voting will run until Monday night (because I'll be away getting married after that!), and the winner will receive a voucher for loads of Minibits goodies!  Please make sure to place your votes in this!

:-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Congratulations to all! Well done indeed chaps, superb work. :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Congratulations to the winners and the level of entries this year was awesome. Some of the winners work is just so inspiring and hard to believe they are 10mm figures. Once again well done!

Matt J

well chuffed  :D

although you seems to have given my pre - 20th cent foot entry to Kev  :-\
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fred.

05 March 2014, 09:32:04 PM #4 Last Edit: 05 March 2014, 09:34:59 PM by fred 12df
Congratulations to the winners! The standard was really high - some excellent pieces.

It was getting a bit like a crowd of children up against the sweetie shop window, waiting for the results

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Womble67

I would like to offer my congratulations to the winners some fantastic entries this year. I can only guess how hard the judges must have found it. Anyway an excellent competition this year it was great fun.

take care

andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Many, many congratulations!  An amazing standard this year, demonstrated by the fact that Hetairoi, whose painting is beautiful, did not make it across the winning line.  Once again, an inspiring competition.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

rooster

Congrats to the winners, some inspiring entries again this year.  Must try not to get tempted into another period   ;)

hetairoi

05 March 2014, 10:09:10 PM #8 Last Edit: 05 March 2014, 10:15:49 PM by hetairoi
Congrats to all the winners! Specially to Matt, who has nailed it!  =D> =D> =D>

QuoteAn amazing standard this year, demonstrated by the fact that Hetairoi, whose painting is beautiful, did not make it across the winning line.

I barely get to scratch a second place!  ;D

As said, the quality of Matt, Kev and BH62 is out of this world. So I´ll stop chatting now and start painting for next year competition!  :D
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!

Ithoriel

All very well deserved! Don't envy the judges their decisions. Well done to those who won but also well done to all those who entered, some superb stuff in the also rans!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Incredible standard  :o.....Congrats to each and every one of you that entered.....I've still got a headache ! ;)
Cheers - Phil

Leon

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 05 March 2014, 09:31:27 PM
although you seems to have given my pre - 20th cent foot entry to Kev  :-\

Fixed now, apologies for that, I'd copied and pasted last years announcement to save time and forgot to change the name!

:-[
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Vulture

Some amazing painting there.  Congrats to the winners  =D>
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog: http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

daveyboy21

Well done guys. Kudos to all who entered
"When you have nothing to loose...........THEN you have Everything to fight for"

General Bt Sherman

Congratulations to all the winner.
Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!