Painting Comp Feedback

Started by TinyTerrain, 01 March 2014, 10:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: mollinary on 02 March 2014, 10:26:19 PM
<snip>
I hope we can keep a sense of proportion here.  I also hope we do not take ourselves so seriously that we encumber the competition with more rules and restrictions than the Oscars or the Olympics.
<snip>

Cheers all,

Mollinary

But, but ... this is much more important than the Oscars, this is tiny toy soldiers  ;D ;D ;D

Perspective is indeed important
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

By the way, the next time you're in Burma, you might find it useful to know that the persistent local who keeps telling you about "Oscar" is not introducing himself, inviting you to discuss The Importance of being Earnest, or complaining that the greatest director yet never got the award he deserved; it's SE Asian pronunciation of horse cart, and he's offering his services as a taxi. Took us a while to puzzle it out.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Luddite

'Professional painter'?!?

This does not mean that they produce quality painting, only that they (try) to make a living doing it. 
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Hertsblue

Quote from: mollinary on 02 March 2014, 10:26:19 PM
I love ogling the entries in the competition, and find them inspiring.  Should "professionals" be able to compete?  From my point of view the answer would be a resounding yes, their work is amazing, and shows off Pendraken figures for the works of art they are. Should they be eligible for the prizes?  I think that is a question only those who donate the prizes should be able to decide, but I am not sure that the prizes are the motivation for people entering.  I hope we can keep a sense of proportion here.  I also hope we do not take ourselves so seriously that we encumber the competition with more rules and restrictions than the Oscars or the Olympics.  Is the Painting Competition broke?  I don't think so.  So let's not fix it!

Cheers all,

Mollinary

Mollinary is, of course, right. The vast majority of us entered with little or no hope of winning anything. The old principle of "not the winning but the taking part" may have been somewhat devalued these days, but it still holds. Heaping on restrictions that narrow down the field serves no-one's interests. Let's let it be. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

WeeWars

Let's keep it as a competition of painting quality not of quantity of chat.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

keeryel

Hi there,
just to give away my two cents:

I've joined this year painting competion as last year I was really amazed about the overall quality of entries.
I've not a high post count on my profile (this post would be my tenth)... But still I've 11 hours logged in on this forum, as I follow it (lurking) daily from more than a year.
am I entitled to partecipate to the PPC? I'm heartly feeling I am.
I feel I am an active forum member. I was here when there was all those ranting  ;D about centurions (and I silently seconded them).
I was here when there was the discussion on the "pendraken mongols kickstarter". I felt very sorry for the loss of a person I never met, but from whom I've read a lot here.
I've visited salute twice, and as I'm from Italy that is something like a big achievment... the first time I come back with a couple of armies bought at Pendraken stand... then I've managed to push for a 10 mm project with my club, and we started a big FPW campaign with pendraken sculpts... (by the way, has been planned a re working for those? I'd love to see it with new style sculpting)...

in january I've ordered some packs of figure to enter in the competition...
I was also very pleased to see my blog ( http://thewarworkbench.blogspot.it) counter going up with a lot of visit from pendraken.co.uk

and that's is. I still feel to be a part of this forum community. even with only 10 posts...

WeeWars

Quote from: keeryel on 03 March 2014, 04:15:56 PM
Hi there,
just to give away my two cents:

I've joined this year painting competion as last year I was really amazed about the overall quality of entries.
I've not a high post count on my profile (this post would be my tenth)... But still I've 11 hours logged in on this forum, as I follow it (lurking) daily from more than a year.
am I entitled to partecipate to the PPC? I'm heartly feeling I am.
I feel I am an active forum member. I was here when there was all those ranting  ;D about centurions (and I silently seconded them).
I was here when there was the discussion on the "pendraken mongols kickstarter". I felt very sorry for the loss of a person I never met, but from whom I've read a lot here.
I've visited salute twice, and as I'm from Italy that is something like a big achievment... the first time I come back with a couple of armies bought at Pendraken stand... then I've managed to push for a 10 mm project with my club, and we started a big FPW campaign with pendraken sculpts... (by the way, has been planned a re working for those? I'd love to see it with new style sculpting)...

in january I've ordered some packs of figure to enter in the competition...
I was also very pleased to see my blog ( http://thewarworkbench.blogspot.it) counter going up with a lot of visit from pendraken.co.uk

and that's is. I still feel to be a part of this forum community. even with only 10 posts...

Esattamente, Rafael! è bene che tu sei qui

I would suggest that if anyone's painting skills are ever linked to their ability to chat on a forum in a foreign language that a request is made for new other-language sections on the forum. Pendraken is for everyone!
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Hear, hear !  :)
Cheers - Phil.

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 03 March 2014, 04:38:54 PM
Esattamente, Rafael! è bene che tu sei qui

I would suggest that if anyone's painting skills are ever linked to their ability to chat on a forum in a foreign language that a request is made for new other-language sections on the forum. Pendraken is for everyone!

Well said that man and Rafael  =D> =D> =D>

petercooman

fsn

Quote from: keeryel on 03 March 2014, 04:15:56 PM
I feel I am an active forum member. I was here when there was all those ranting  ;D about centurions (and I silently seconded them).

Ranting? I don't remember any ranting.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Jc

I think the competition is ok as it is, i for one did not enter with a view to wining anything,and yes i entered dioramas this year,and armies last year,i did so because i felt like it,nothing else,and no other motive.I have been a member of this forum for almost two years now,and find some bits informative, others who show their work inspiring,and other bits quite frankly confusing,but that is what makes it interesting ,whether your into wargames , d&d, 40k ,or Airfix kits,or any other facet of model making/painting we all do so because we like the escapism it gives us,and the chance to meet like minded folk on forums such as this . long may it continue.

Subedai

I think the painting competition is a great idea for the following reasons (in no particular order).
1. It showcases a number of different ranges.
2. It may give people ideas on another project, especially if there are no pics on the website of a particular figure or model.
3. It gives everybody a good reason to get painting. (Since I heard of the competition just before Christmas I have painted 221 10mm figures -all bar 6 being Pendraken.)
4. It is inspirational in that the incredible variety of painting and basing styles are all together on display in a few posts as opposed to trawling through the relevant Topics.
5. I'd like to think that if anybody had a question about a particular style the painter would be only too happy to share his/her knowledge and/or experience.
6. It might be a cliche but a picture definitely does paint a thousand words.
7. It is aspirational. By that I mean people can look at the way others paint and think, I can do that...and the go and do it.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Hertsblue

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the primary purpose of the painting comp is to display (and by extension, sell) Pendraken figures. The forum exists for much the same reason. The more participants who post to either, the more exposure the figures get. As others have mentioned, the connection between the two is tenuous at best - the forum promotes the competition but that's all - and if that draws in participants, so much the better.   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net