Teeny-Tiny Little Tanks

Started by bigjackmac, 28 February 2014, 03:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

First off, please understand these are a work in progress, not finished troops, but I was so excited by how they're turning out I felt like hanging them here to show everyone.  So, I'm starting a new project, this time in 3mm.  I know what you're thinking: Jack, you have all those beautiful (yuk yuk) 10mm armies, why on earth would you ever want to use a different scale?

Well, as it turns out, Mrs. Jack is over halfway pregnant, with another little Prince on orders to report in this summer.  What does that have to do with 10mm and 3mm armies?  Well, I could be wrong, but more than likely these developments mean I will be spending a lot less time painting and playing, and when I am playing, odds are that stepping upstairs for 3 to 5 hours to my playroom probably won't go over very well.

So, I painted up some spare Pico Armor I had lying around, and decided this is what I was looking for.  I put in a decent sized order Sunday night and received them today (great service), so I'll be working on them.  In any case, here's a test shot to see what you guys think:

I love it!  24 inches by 24 inches on the coffee table, with little tanks popping off at other little tanks, it's gonna work like a charm.

And did I mention that's 3mm!  I won't say I'm a good painter (obvious by the white showing on my ballast), but this proves I'm a much better painter than I use to be.  Sorry, just a bit too proud of myself.

In any case, if you want to see a few more pics and read about what I ordered and I what I intend on doing with it, please hop on over to the blog:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/02/dont-ever-sell-anything-aka-my-fun-with.html

Stay tuned, this weekend I intend on doing less painting and more gaming, so I'll look to get some games in and get the batreps written up and posted.

V/R,
Jack

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

get2grips

FierceKitty

I knew a wargamer who took a 6mm Romans and Macedonians wargames set with him on national service; made a hit with bored soldiers and drew favourable attention from officers too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice work, and congrat to you and t'Mrs!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Wulf

Those Polish (I can't remember the company name - or spell it) tanks, and especially the infantry, are amazing. Lovely paint job too.

I deceded 6mm wasn't for me some years ago, and couldn't decide between 3mm & 10mm. Currently I'm buying up 10mm for Skirmish scale gaming, but I may take another look for bigger unit scales...

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

sebigboss79

Quote from: Fenton on 28 February 2014, 01:47:39 PM
the company is Oddział Ósmy

and I am also one of their customers. Awesome stuff and very affordable for both skirmishing and masses of metal.  8)

bigjackmac

Thanks fellas, for the kind words, and thanks for the congrats, Lemmey, though I'm already lamenting my future lack of sleep...

Yes, the company is OO, but here in the States I get them via Pico Armor.  They are incredibly detailed, and by playing sitting down at the coffee table I'm actually able to see and identify the individual vehicles.  These were just some test cases from some minis I had lying around, just received my order from Pico Armor last night, got a bit of painting to do, but I think this is going to work out great.

V/R,
Jack

nikharwood

28 February 2014, 11:22:28 PM #9 Last Edit: 01 March 2014, 10:36:52 PM by nikharwood
Good stuff - I've had an affair with 3mm for ever (not to mention 2mm) - superbly sculpted minis, totally affordable and easy to bang a few on a small area & have fun.

love 'em  8)

(tell me if you want links to see mine)

bigjackmac

Nik,

Coming off your 28mm US and German threat, I looked up some of your old batreps.  I don't know what Aeons or Ctuhulus are, but the figs were cool as hell!  Pretty amazing that those were 10mm.  I'm assuming those were from the Pendraken SCW range?  Man, that gives me some real strange ideas  ;D

Where's your 3mm at, love to see them!

V/R,
Jack

FierceKitty

Quote from: bigjackmac on 01 March 2014, 02:12:14 AM

Coming off your 28mm US and German threat....

The KKK and the Nazis have teamed up, or what?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kev1964

Excellent work, never seen 3mm in the flesh but the detail  looks fantastic ,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ronan

They're great ! You're right to be proud.
And congrats to both of you !

Wulf

Quote from: Fenton on 28 February 2014, 01:47:39 PMthe company is Oddział Ósmy
Thanks - I can never get the 'd's and the 'z's in the right order...

The infantry are even more astounding looking, but I have to admit I've never seen them in scale with the tanks. One thing I dislike in larger scales is infantry on thick cast bases but tanks with none- making infantry far too tall in proportion! That would be especially noticeable in this scale...