Your Dungeons!

Started by Leon, 12 July 2010, 08:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germy

Starting to put together ideas for my own dungeon (I know, how could I not possibly have one already!  :-[).
Managed a quick test tonight, not entirely sold on the outcome.

Went brown rather than grey.

Dry brush Buff

Started painting different colours on the stones. Pale Sand in this case.

Continued with other shades up to a red/brown.

Finished with a brown wash over the entire piece.

Possibly a tad too multi coloured   :-\

nikharwood

06 September 2010, 11:27:23 PM #61 Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 11:31:58 PM by nikharwood
Interestingly enough, I've done mine in sandstone too Jeremey:

Mine are a bit dirtier than yours though... and I've got some 'secret' plans for them (beyond playing B4 The Lost City)

;) 8)

sixsideddice

OMG  the Egyptian feel to these sandstone dungeons is simply crying out to me "Victorian Steampunk" Sands of Time, The Hunt or Ra`la`nuin`s Tomb, Dr Livesy`s Journals, oooh the mind is careening with ideas now. I`ve wanted to do 10mm Victorian pulp and horror for ages (ever since seeing the light and realising it can be done). hmmmmm, I may just have to repaint my entire dungeon now , you do realise - you rotters  ;)

.... Its all your fault.

8->

hehe

Six

Cyril

Wow.. awesome.. simply awesome..  :o
I agree with Six, I'd really love to see some Egyptian pulp action in such dungeon !  :-bd

nikharwood

Funnily enough...that's what I'm working on - including a focus on The Mummy & Scorpion King films...I've got detailed notes at home - will post tonight!

sixsideddice

Wow Nik, I`d r-e-a-l-l-y like to see this come together.

The Mummy trilogy (movie version) is an especial favourite topic of mine, and it wouldn`t take much for me to get heavily into this.

Just out of interest, as an aside, because I truly don`t know the Pendraken Miniatures range for this period well enough to make a proper judgement... which figures would I pick to make up a typical 20`s 30`s small skirmish force of British/American soldiers, and explorers/personality types?

Six :-)

Megamatman

Megamatman

nikharwood

Sandinista

fred.

Nik and Germy really like the brown sandstone look. It's interesting go see that Niks more impressionistic method seems to look better than painting up individual stones.  Now have to do some thinking while I wait for my dungeon to arrive about colour scheme...

Six - for pulp era adventurers probably have a look in the Boer war and SCW ranges for starters. You've got me thinking now as I have ordered some Egyptian figs and some other undead (can't remember if they are mummies or ghosts) so a few more modern adventurers could be interesting.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

nikharwood

Glad you like it - my method for painting these:

Wash, dry, undercoat spray black

Wet overbrush: (used a 1/2 inch house-painting brush for this)
Charred Brown
Beasty Brown

Stipple: heavy => light
Leather Brown
Plague Brown
Earth
Desert Yellow
Khaki
Bleached Bone

Magic Wash:
Everything!

Final feather-light drybrush:
Bleached Bone

Matt spray varnish (4 coats)

The stippling was done over fairly random areas of the pieces so that some parts are darker, some lighter; I did aim to be lighter towards the edges of the pieces for definition. I did proper wreck a cheap paintbrush with the stippling too...

Took me about 40 minutes to paint from black undercoat.

I'll start a new thread with my thoughts on Egyptian / Mummy / Pulp...

Cyril

Man... had I seen the work Nik and Germy did, I would have hesitated to post mine !  :-[
And thanks for the guidelines Nik !

nikharwood

Quote from: Cyril on 07 September 2010, 07:16:46 PM
Man... had I seen the work Nik and Germy did, I would have hesitated to post mine !  :-[
And thanks for the guidelines Nik !

Nah - yours is great Cyril, tres coolio  8)

You're welcome on the painting guide - does this mean you're going to get another set for the desert?  ;) :P

fred.

40 minutes!!!! I'm really starting to hate you Nik ;)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Cyril

Quote from: nikharwood on 07 September 2010, 07:33:05 PMdoes this mean you're going to get another set for the desert?  ;) :P
Seriously this is very tempting, but I still have a lot of work to do before ! (basing, for instance :) )