Your Dungeons!

Started by Leon, 12 July 2010, 08:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyril

Thanks to you guys.
count_zero99uk, it's not that hard nor that time consuming. I even under coated without any spray within some hours... (that part was the most tedious)

As a feedback, I would recommend to use a spray or at least use some textured paint for the undercoating. I guess the "Dark Earth Brushscape" textured paint from Coat D'Arms could do the trick.
There are two reasons for that :
1/ the base floor texture is only "textured" on some parts of the dunjon and its hard to do a decent brushing on flat parts...
2/ the resin cast has lots of small bubbles where the paint won't go without spending some time on each bubble.. except when your paint is "textured enough" I guess

Now for the main painting, if you don't want to take a full grey brushing approach, I would recommend to unify the colors you use at the "interface" of each part. This way, you avoid any ugly discontinuity. Yeah.. it didn't seem that obvious at the time..

arabianknight

RE: the doors.

I think I'll have to be propping mine up as they are all shorter than the walls, so if I construct them properly they'll sit off the ground (and I don't fancy painting loads of "Mind The Step" signs at 10mm).

Although now I've typed it I could make some steps... :-\

arabianknight

Just finished painting the resin - no doors or furniture yet.

painting details and vague thoughts @ http://weeblokes.blogspot.com/2010/08/dungeon-interior-design.html

AK

Cyril

Dirty dungeons.. THAT I like ! Congratulations arabianknight !
I really neeeeed to paint faster...

nikharwood

Excellent - really nicely done  8)

sixsideddice

wow, that`s impressive.

Really well done.

:)

Cyril

Alright, I advanced on the painting. Here are some results.
As stated before by arabian knight, the skeletons and orcs are the easy part... I'm a bit scared of going for the other big bad boys and the heroes...

diner's ready by cyril F, on Flickr

zombis dining by cyril F, on Flickr

skeleton guard by cyril F, on Flickr

orcs rushing down a corridor by cyril F, on Flickr

fred.

I love those. Really good photos and well painted. Those zombies look good.

Really looking forward to my Dungeon pack turning up.

I'll stop gushing now...  :-[

I've spent a fair bit of the weekend going through the various Warmaster figures I had which could be useful for a dungeon. Found a couple of packs of Pendraken trolls, a few Orcs with large glaives. A few goblins. Warmaster Empire look like they will provide a bunch of evil humans, even found a few Irregular Orcs that I had received in some eBay deal. All in all a nice little bunch of critters to add to the dungeon.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

arabianknight

those are excellent Cyril.

I've stalled on the orc's with humungous swords, so it's nice to see those in your corridor - might just give me the push to get them done. As a note funnily I looked at their hair and immediately thoughr - RED as well  ;D

Also good to see you seem to be the first person to have done the doors as designed. If I might have to have another go at trying to get the buggers to glue togther again. I've grumpily given up a couple of time already!  ~X(

Cyril

Thanks arabianknight, it's good to see we built a "motivation loop" ! I also need it badly !

As for the orcs, I agree, their hair couldn't be of any other color.
What's more angry than an orc ? A PUNK orc that's right !

As for the doors, I used the "staple" trick someone else had described here : you glue a sprue of staples under the top of the door system, then glue the two door parts on the "sides" of the staples. It's quite sturdy and works like a charm !

sixsideddice

Good God you`ve done a good job on the dungeon, and the furnishings are absolutely superb. Your monsters are so cool and.....   okay you totally put me to shame  :P

Amazing work  8)

Looking forward to seeing all this put into action. A Batrep with lavish photos, maybe?

Six

Cyril

31 August 2010, 12:11:35 PM #41 Last Edit: 31 August 2010, 12:51:28 PM by Cyril
Thanks Six, you know, you're the Master Yoda of Dungeon World to me. So I'll try my best for the other monsters and heroes ! :D
My friends are looking forward to play so there will undoubtedly be a batrep. However, I'll need to learn how to make good pictures because I'm not satisfied with the ones I took... bad focus, bad lighting... this really kills the feel of a situation one tries to take.

Edit: I forgot to answer to fred12df. Thanks, it's good to see this motivates you !
About the miniatures from other companies, I guess one can find lots of possibilities but trust me, you'll have enough paint work to do with the basic dungeon pack :) Plus, Pendraken offers lots of possibilities with their huuuge range of minis !

fred.

31 August 2010, 08:31:46 PM #42 Last Edit: 31 August 2010, 08:33:25 PM by fred12df
Indeed there are many many options in the Pendraken range - and I have some on order.

These were ones that I already had sitting in a drawer so the thought of having a shiny dungeon soon (or soonish) made me have a rummage and do some painting.

Your photos look pretty good - how would you like to improve them? You could perhaps get a bit more depth of field, with a higher f stop. Are you using a tripod to allow you to use longer exposure times.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sixsideddice

01 September 2010, 02:20:20 PM #43 Last Edit: 01 September 2010, 02:22:10 PM by sixsideddice

Thanks Six, you know, you're the Master Yoda of Dungeon World to me. So I'll try my best for the other monsters and heroes !
My friends are looking forward to play so there will undoubtedly be a batrep. However, I'll need to learn how to make good pictures because I'm not satisfied with the ones I took... bad focus, bad lighting... this really kills the feel of a situation one tries to take.

Hi Cyril,

lol  I`m just a rules writer who really wants to see gamers get something half decent which really reflects the sheer potential of this amazing range of miniatures. If my efforts brings happiness to others, then I will have succeeded. My inspiration came from  seeing the majority of gamers in this scale using borrowed systems like Warmaster, Necromunda, Space Hulk  etc (notice these all seem to be Games Workshop based) and I thought it was time to start along a different avenue, something less `someone elses`which would allow individuals and groups of friends to tailor the game into their own, using a basic rules engine as a foundation... yet coming from an entirely different mind met.

This way, each group of gamers can work with less does and donts and more "hey! why don`t we try this new idea... it might be fun".

The Mass Battle system I`m working on will complete the cycle and allow gamers to switch between their dungeon crawl rpgs, and yet be able use the same miniatures to play full scale (or skirmish size) games alongside it`s simpler DW cousin.

Enjoy.

Six :-)

Cyril

You're a good man Six, I really like your philosophy !
I'll try to get some players around the table with a couple of beers when I get the chance. And be sure your work will be put at good use !

But enough talking, here are some pictures of the bigger denizen of the dungeon :

the slime buddies by cyril F, on Flickr

the slime buddies 2 by cyril F, on Flickr

Game over heroes. Game over. by cyril F, on Flickr

The giant was really hard to paint for me. I'm really bad when it comes to painting skin (that's also why I took a dark picture :) )
Last step : the heroes !