28mm WW2 US Airborne & LW Germans: Chain of Command

Started by nikharwood, 23 February 2014, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Finally got my 28mm US Airborne & LW Germans finished thanks to a resupply of basing material & spray matt varnish, plus a break in the wet Somerset weather; fast pics tonight:

More pic: US Airborne: http://nikharwood.blogspot.com/2014/02/ww2-us-airborne-for-chain-of-command.html

More pics: Germans: http://nikharwood.blogspot.com/2014/02/ww2-germans-for-chain-of-command.html

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Great work, Nik. They stand the test of the ultra close-up very well.  =D> =D> =D>
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

Very nice Nik

Looks like a different painting style then a lot of your other stuff
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

bigjackmac

They look great Nik.  But of course they do, they're nearly three times the size of THE scale  ;D

I really like the look, and every now and then I get tempted (hell, lately I've found myself looking at 28mm Pulp; where the hell did that come from?), but so far I've been able to fight it off.  First, I really don't have room for more terrain, and second, have you tried 'skirmishing' with 10mm? 

Granted, it's not going to match the pure spectacle of a fine 28mm table, but I've had a lot of fun playing with individually based 10mm troops, and best of all, I can do it on a 2' x 2' to 3' x 3', while sitting down (oh my aching back).  I'm not saying give up on the 28's, clearly you've got a good thing going with those, I just recommend it for 'side projects,' which I always seem to have a million of.

Take care.

V/R,
Jack

kev1964

Only just found these, beautiful work Nik, the paras are my favorites but the cammo on the Germans is top notch,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

nikharwood

27 February 2014, 10:19:21 PM #6 Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 10:22:28 PM by nikharwood
Thanks chaps  :)

Quote from: Fenton on 24 February 2014, 10:15:17 AM
Looks like a different painting style then a lot of your other stuff

These are the first 28s I've ever used a (brushed-on) 'dip' on...so I haven't painted them in my eyeball-bleeding obsessive way that I used to do 28s with, back in the day...
They, funnily enough, were much quicker to paint  :-\ :d

More of my 28mm stuff is here if you're interested, from a while ago: http://nikharwood28mm.pbworks.com/w/page/7827185/FrontPage

I really should take some decent pics of my Mordheim & Tomb Kings kit as well at some point (once they're out of storage)

Quote from: bigjackmac on 26 February 2014, 03:32:29 AM
I really like the look, and every now and then I get tempted (hell, lately I've found myself looking at 28mm Pulp; where the hell did that come from?), but so far I've been able to fight it off.  First, I really don't have room for more terrain, and second, have you tried 'skirmishing' with 10mm?  
Jack

Oh yes - have a scoot round the Batrep section of this forum for my 10mm skirmishes: Pulp, Cthulhu, sci-fi....I also skirmish in 6m, although haven't managed (yet, really) with my 3mm and 2mm kit  ;)

Quote from: kev1964 on 27 February 2014, 06:14:18 AM
Only just found these, beautiful work Nik, the paras are my favorites but the cammo on the Germans is top notch,

kev

Thanks, kev - I basically went for an impressionist approach really, but mixed up the camo gear to give some variety and spent some time trying to get the colour matches looking right (with the knowledge that the dip would darken them a lot). Once they're all on-table, I'll get some more pics sorted...