The Mongol Experiment - Report

Started by Leon, 21 February 2014, 11:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Hmmmm ... chariot armies are in the pipeline, Byzantines can be shoehorned in from other ranges, we have been promised 1946 and Korea, and the British Napoleonics will be with us  " 'ere summer swallows dance and flit."

I'm running out of stuff to want!   :'( :'( :'(

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Has anyone taken a look at Peter Berry's Baccus Forum?   He seems to be exploring similar issues, including asking people to identify proxies for troops not in the current ranges, and suggestions for filling in "gaps" in existing ranges. I am always up for supportIng Pendraken to fill in the gaps I need filling.  Perhaps the next might be a personality figure of Leon,  in a variety of different uniforms, to inspire all our troops! Obviously, following the recent photo, a "Leon as Baldrick" would be a good start, but where next?  Leon as Napoleon, Leon as Frederick the Great, Leon as Julius Caesar? I am sure our sculptors would welcome working from a "model"!??   :o ;D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

The initial options I'd think would be either:

- An extension of the Modern ranges?  We could do a multi-range non-KS, where the first target would be the Chinese troops for Korea, then the second goal would be 1980's Cold War Russians, and then finally we could look at some modern African 'AK47' style figures?  Those would all fit with the modern vehicles we've already got, and would give a lot more options for 1950-present day.

- An opponent for the Mongols, either medieval Russians or some Chinese maybe?

Quote from: Steve J on 24 February 2014, 06:55:35 PM
- Polish army for 1939.
- It is mainstream and the big gap missing in your WWII range.
- As vehicles already exist with Pithead, you could just concentrate on the infantry to lessen the risk.
- Even though a mainstream army for a major conflict, it could be argued that it is still rather niche. But then we have the Finns, which are even more so IMHO.

The Polish are certainly something we'd like to do, but with there already being two different styles of sculpt in the WWII ranges (Brits/Germans vs USMC/Japanese), I'm wary of adding a third style with Phil's sculpts.  That's not a slight on any of the designers, just that different sculptors produce slightly different looking figures.  Ideally, we'd wait until after the WWI extension was complete and assign the Polish to that chap instead.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Quote from: mollinary on 24 February 2014, 07:41:51 PM
I am sure our sculptors would welcome working from a "model"!??   :o ;DMollinary

I volunteer Clibby..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have taken a different tack...
Large amount of money sent to Phil for CENSORED.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

You mean I'm not allowed to tell anyone else that I'm doing some CENSORED for you Will ?
I'll send you some photos in the next couple of days. ;)
Cheers - Phil.

fred.

I think I would go for Moderns next. Then Mongol opponents.

Mainly as those who bought Mongols, will be busy painting or have spent up. And in a year or so will be ready for the opponents.

And Moderns are likely to appeal to a different segment of customers.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

I can see the appeal of the modern stuff. Would make sense to have some support for those T55's.

Not that fussed about Mongols, or their enemies ... though ancient Chinese ... maybe ...

If you're looking for some small additions (2-3 codes), how about some late C19 US frontier citizens (OK cowboys) and maybe Apaches; some meta-humans for the SF range (OK super heroes) and I'd like to see the British Commandos for WWII extended.

I'm not a big one for the Desert War, but how about raiders/LRDG?  

Napoleonic Marines ... perhaps a sloop or frigate?

WWII Armoured trains ... to go with the Poles.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Brilliant, I would love to see photos of my (censored), especially with their (censored), (censored)and (censored)! ;)

For those of you who know my wants, they're opponents for a pre-existing range I already own. ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

barbarian

I would buy some ultra-modern stuff (Afghanistan 2001-2012) : helicopters, HMMWV, Strykers, Bradley... Technicals for the insurgent...
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Maenoferren

Quote from: fsn on 24 February 2014, 08:45:06 PM
If you're looking for some small additions (2-3 codes), how about some late C19 US frontier citizens (OK cowboys) and maybe Apaches; I'm not a big one for the Desert War, but how about raiders/LRDG?  

Napoleonic Marines ... perhaps a sloop or frigate?

yep sounds good to me :)
oh and Aztecs :)
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Subedai

Just found this thread by the way so apologies.

Throwing my tuppence-worth into the ring I would like to say that from a retailing point of view the whole thing was a great learning curve for everybody involved with the Mongols and I totally agree with paying a certain percentage or even all of it up-front for any future projects.

The down side is that only 60% of the pledgees/pledgers(?) made good on their promise, that's between them and their conscience, I'm not going to judge. But on the up-side, you now have a great range of figures -apart from barded horses which are an absolute must for the keshig- that will keep going for some time.

To respond to Sakura's comments, I agree with him about the life size differences but I don't think it's that big an issue in 10mm and as someone else pointed out get it accurate and you run the risk of being ridiculed. I mean, look at some of the relative comparisons for the larger scales and this new fangled phrase 'scale-creep' that's started to creep (sorry) into the language. It's horses for courses.

My personal impression of the new Mongols is that unlike some other manufacturers' ranges they are in proportion and are 10mm not 12 or even bigger! I like em and if I didn't already have over 250 of the little chaps (now from three different manufacturers) I would most definitely get some more. Although saying that, those dismounted chaps look a bit nice.

As far as new/niche chaps are concerned, I would like to see Medieval Russians but I'm sure that would be catagorised as a niche project whereas most work must go into mainstream due to the current economic climate.

Here's an idea. Do a poll on the forum with a list of options that you see are possibilities and see what the response is. You could always stick an 'Other' category on the end for someone who would like to see something like the Inner London Sheep Wars of 1726.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Genom

On the subject of other ranges, Medieval Chinese and Russians would be great for the Mongols, but as was mentioned by someone I fall into the category of having a lot of painting to catch up on and some saving up to do before I get onto my next purchases (Which is likely to be Romans, Greeks or WW2 Russians)

But I'd say stick to your polls and see what comes up.

Hertsblue

In the spirit of building on existing ranges, I would have thought that infantry to go with the terrific modern AFVs currently being produced would be a high priority. Korean War Chinese have already been mentioned, but what about Israeli and Arab forces (there are figures in various ranges that would take very little modification), or late twentieth century WarPac  and NATO troops? As FOW have proved, there is a demand for mechanised warfare kit. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

DanJ

The biggest area with holes in it would appear to be the ancients, however the death of Warmaster Ancients seems to have slowed down the whole 10mm ancients scene.

Pendraken also cover most popular ancients range so you'd probably be looking at a the more obscure armies like the bronze age, however these don't appear to be a niche market, not the most particularly popular with players which is a shame. 

The only obvious gaps I can see and which I'd happily pledge to would be Ancient Chinese, there's a lot of scope here and pre-columban America with a conquistador range to take them on.