Battle of Warsaw

Started by Rob, 13 February 2014, 01:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I saw the "Battle of Warsaw" last night, and very good it was too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFyhRAnxkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DstyaGotWFM

I intend to start a new project this year - Russian Civil War. I would also apart from the usual REDS and WHITES, like to include the other armies such as Cossack, Ukranian, Anarchist, and Polish. The current ranges probably need a little more variation to existing figure types and some irregulars, but on the whole are good to go.

The Polish as far as I can make out can be made up with late French infantry, Austrian Uhlans and Russian cavalry figures. Except that the infantry officers and high command will be wrong/missing.

Sooo, I would like to request an infantry command pack and high command pack for a 1920 Polish army.

Cheers, Rob  :)

GrumpyOldMan

13 February 2014, 10:16:08 PM #1 Last Edit: 13 February 2014, 10:23:56 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello Rob

Don't forget the WW1 Polish in Czapka which can be used either mixed in or in separate units.
Only picture I could find, appear to be a mod on the later French:-

You could also use the heads on the French, British, German or Russian (WW2) high commands. The Russian high command would work for most people involved.

Poles also used a sidecap so other options are the SCW Regular army winter, VBCW troops in sidecap, etc.

Lots of options for the others. Don't forget the RAF  :)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

paulr

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 13 February 2014, 10:16:08 PM
Lots of options for the others. Don't forget the RAF  :)

Not to mention US Marines, Australians, British, ....
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

14 February 2014, 01:08:55 PM #3 Last Edit: 14 February 2014, 01:12:10 PM by Rob
Strangely the czapka equipped infantry do not seem much in evidence except as officers. Adrian helmets or caps seem the norm, but as you say excellent for mixing in to units as it is obvious uniformity was never achieved. Weaponry was also a mixture as that illustration you have put up shows with what looks like an 1895 vintage Colt 'potato digger'. It must have been a nightmare obtaining the correct ammunition.

For anyone interested in this period "Red Victory" W Bruce Lincoln and "Warsaw 1920" Adam Zamoyski in my opinion are great books.

As for the other armies I will get them as I work through the WW1 period but I am more interested in the lesser known RCW period armies, especially the Polish that managed to stop the Bolshevik invasion of the West and the Black Guards of the remarkable Nestor Makhno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno

Cheers Rob   :) :)

Quick post-script. Thats 300 posts folks in the remartkably short time of two and a half years.  ;D ;D =O =O I think I post as quick as I paint  :D :(

OldenBUA

Ah, back at Makhno we are again.

Quote from: OldenBUA on 22 June 2013, 10:13:49 AM
Bring on your Whites, and I'll get my Makhnovites ready!

Well, sometime in my lifetime, I hope.

Sorry, no subtitles, and no, I don't understand much of it neither!
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

freddy326

Ah yes The Nine Lives of Nestor Makhno!! quite a good series even without the subtitles! My personal favorite is 'Chapaev'

Leman

If you put a Budenny cavalry army up against the Poles dismount most of them. I didn't and got thoroughly rogered, despite having an armoured train. Incidentally, my opponent didn't bother with any Polish cavalry, instead relying on FT17s.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Rob

I had a DOH! moment and thought the answer to this request is to use the command from the WW1 Polish infantry. However looking at the pic Grumpy has kindly put up; it shows 30 models with no command (bu***r).

So the request should be a request to expand the WW1 Polish to include a command group. This should fit in with the existing range nicely. (And include a standard bearer please  :))

Cheers, Rob  :)

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Rob

The picture came from an ebay posting so may not reflect what's in the pack. I'd check with Leon on what's available. For standard bearers options are:-

SV 64 Russian WW2 standard bearer in pilotka (sidecap)

SV 34 Russian WW2 Running with flag, in greatcoat (no pic found)

SCW26 SCW - Regular Army (winter dress)

Sidecap figures could be used as is, or could be head swapped.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Rob

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Another thought on the standard bearer, SCW125 the foul weather SCW figure:-

Second from the left.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

Could probably get away with that pointing officer as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

You might want to have a look at the WW1 British in greatcoats and officers in greatcoats, both in visored service caps. Could  be proxies for lots of  national armies and irregulars in this period.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sent from my MID1002 using Tapatalk

burnaby64

Thanks for the hugely helpful suggestions here. I'm about two thirds of the way through painting armies for the Polish Soviet War and I've been given plenty of ideas from this thread.

GrumpyOldMan

Hi MJVWW

Quote from: Maj Gen von Wedel-Wedelsborg on 15 March 2014, 05:48:43 PM
Thanks for the hugely helpful suggestions here. I'm about two thirds of the way through painting armies for the Polish Soviet War and I've been given plenty of ideas from this thread.

No problems, people are always telling me I'm full of it - I'm assuming they mean good ideas  :D :D.

You could also look at the WW2 Finnish for extra troop types:-

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan