Entries Discussion thread!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 02 February 2014, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Well, I finally managed to take some reasonable photos of my entries today, so am one happy bunny. I learnt how to crop images as well which was cool, but I'm not sure how to re-size some of the images that I posted? If it's a problem, hopefully Leon can help...

I had planned to paint a few more things, but real life got in the way more than I had planned. Well there's always next year :D.

OldenBUA

27 February 2014, 11:44:03 AM #106 Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 01:14:35 PM by OldenBUA
Quote from: Steve J on 27 February 2014, 11:25:03 AM
I'm not sure how to re-size some of the images that I posted?

Resizing is not too difficult. In the first image tag (the img text between square brackets), you can add width= and the width you want (i.e. width=400). Some examples below.

So, just for Steve J, I've switched these. ;)
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

get2grips

Quote from: Steve J on 27 February 2014, 11:25:03 AM

I had planned to paint a few more things, but real life got in the way more than I had planned. Well there's always next year :D.

Tell me about it.  Two parent's evenings might have scuppered me :(

Hope I can get my fantasy entry finished tonight :)

blacksmith

There are people like me who totally useless with computers. I don't understand why this forum doesn't resize automatically like most do.

Steve J

QuoteResizing is not too difficult. In the first image tag (the img text between square brackets), you can add width= and the width you want (i.e. width=400). Some examples below.

Thanks for the info :). A bit late now as I don't think we can edit our posts on this forum :-\. There used to be a sticky IIRC about posting images, but I couldn't find it. Leon, is this something you chaps could do at a high level so that it is easy to find?

Leon

Quote from: blacksmith on 27 February 2014, 11:49:15 AM
There are people like me who totally useless with computers. I don't understand why this forum doesn't resize automatically like most do.

I'm not sure either on that, I'll ask Matt if there's a feature we can add to the software.

Quote from: Steve J on 27 February 2014, 11:59:57 AM
There used to be a sticky IIRC about posting images, but I couldn't find it. Leon, is this something you chaps could do at a high level so that it is easy to find?

There's the User Guide up in the top Forum Info board, but it doesn't really explain the pics properly.  As Oldenbua says, you can resize by adding a width tag to your image, so you would have {img width=400} or {img width=600}, etc. (with the proper brackets and not those funny ones!)

It's never a problem though, I check every post that comes in and edit any pics where necessary.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

The late rush is turning up some amazing stuff - well done everybody!   =D> =D> =D> =D>

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

On picture editing - thank you Leon, I see you'd edited some of mine back to reasonable size :)

I hadn't spotted the resize tags, will look at that in future!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

OldenBUA

27 February 2014, 01:13:42 PM #113 Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 02:00:57 PM by OldenBUA
Quote from: Steve J on 27 February 2014, 11:59:57 AM
Thanks for the info :). A bit late now as I don't think we can edit our posts on this forum :-\.

You should be able to edit your own posts (up to a certain time?) There's a little icon in the lower righthand corner of your own post. If you click it you go in edit mode. You don't have all the buttons and stuff from the regular editor though, so you have to know what you are doing! But you should be able to add width=xxx to the img tag.

Thanks to Ithoriel, we now also have a 'Modify' button.  :D
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Ithoriel

27 February 2014, 01:46:06 PM #114 Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 01:59:33 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: OldenBUA on 27 February 2014, 01:13:42 PM
You should be able to edit your own posts (up to a certain time?) There's a little icon in the lower righthand corner of your own post. If you click it you go in edit mode. You don't have all the buttons and stuff from the regular editor though, so you have to know what you are doing! But you should be able to add width=xxx to the img tag.

Not sure how long the option to edit remains but it is possible to get back the "buttons and stuff from the regular editor."

Use the paper and pencil icon if you just want to correct spelling mistakes or to add or remove a word but if you want to make major changes you can use the modify button to get back to the normal interface.

Edit and Modify icons shown below so you know what you're looking for :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Am I right in thinking some people are entering the same items in multiple categories? And isn't that trying to take two tricks with one ace?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

QuoteAm I right in thinking some people are entering the same items in multiple categories? And isn't that trying to take two tricks with one ace?

Well, I've taken individual 'stands' from my wargames armies that have been entered into the Open category, and entered them into the appropriate 'single' category; ie Pre-20thC foot. Now I don't see this as a problem. Others may disagree. If it does cause a problem, the judges can let me know and I'll decide what to withdraw.

I'm not a professional painter, just a wargamer that likes his armies to be painted to the best standard I can achieve. I'm not out to win at all costs and lookiing at the standard of entries, I've got more chance of becoming the next Pope! I don't have the time, inclination nor money to create dioramas just for this competition. So for the single categories, I've taken what I think are my best painted units from my standard wargames armies and entered them, just so to showcase what can be achieved in 10mm.

I hope this makes sense as to my approach to this competition?

fred.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 27 February 2014, 03:57:07 PM
Am I right in thinking some people are entering the same items in multiple categories? And isn't that trying to take two tricks with one ace?

I'm with Steve, I thought it was ok to take stands from an army entry and enter them in individual categories.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

hetairoi

I asked that question to Leon when he posted the rules, and he said it's ok.
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!