"Commonwealth troops"

Started by Orosay, 28 January 2014, 07:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orosay

Starting a Desert War force now and would really like to have Indian or Australian Infantry for a change! Would it be relatively easy to produce these using slouch hat or turban heads on 8th Army bodies?

Yes - I know they probably all wore helmets in action, but who cares - all my napoleonics have lost their greatcoats and shako covers!

petercooman

There are three poses with slouch hats in the british range: BR 55-56-57

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/BR55-p4189/

Sadly they have no pictures. You can see them here though, has some info about chindits too:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,3924.0.html

sunjester

Could any of the Indian poses from the WW1 ranges be of use? I've seen a photo of Sikhs during Operation Crusader wearing turbans, not helmets, and trousers rather than shorts.

I keep meaning to add some Indian troops to either my Western Desert or Italian Campaign armies, seeing as I've done a Libyan battalion for the Italians.

Orosay

Thanks for the pics - I had wondered about these packs - do they have Aussie style turned up brims/short sleeves? can't quite see from the pics, although it looks as though they do.

Sunjester - what have you used for your Libyans?

Hertsblue

The problem with the slouch-hat figures is that they are in trousers rather than shorts.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Orosay

I would be willing to wield my scalpel to mix them up a bit! I read somewhere that shorts weren't worn much in action, but to me they are essential in the desert! (not that I've ever been in the desert)

Fenton

As far I was aware a lot of the troops did wear trousers in the desert due to the cold at night...
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

...and sand flies (b*****d things)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Australians would wear helmets in action so normal figures work for them as they would for most Indian units - pretty much any non-Sikh units (note that some battalions might have Sikh companies).

Regards

Edward

sunjester

Quote from: Orosay on 11 February 2014, 08:57:10 PM

Sunjester - what have you used for your Libyans?

I used some of the SCW Moroccans in Summer Dress. The fez is a bit taller than those that the Libyans wore, but acceptable in 10mm and they are wearing puttees.

Orosay

Thanks Sunjester - might try those.

I 'm sure that they all would probably wear helmets in action (who wouldn't?), but I can overlook that to get some eye catching units on the table - my Scottish battalion has to have a piper on it's command stand!

it's more about the models than the game for me to be honest