Paint on the Final Base?

Started by lentulus, 09 July 2010, 01:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

Since the question has been asked, I am curious too.  Not that there is a right or wrong way, but preferences are interesting.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: lentulus on 09 July 2010, 01:23:28 PM
Since the question has been asked, I am curious too.  Not that there is a right or wrong way, but preferences are interesting.

Never! In all my, um, 0,8 years as a wargamer!  ;D

Really, I can't imagine getting all the details right if I have to move my brush in between several other models on a base.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

goat major

paint on strips of wood stolen from Costa. gloss varnish on strips. Base and then matt varnish.

28mm individual figures i might do on final base (and 40k figures) but never 10mm or anything on a multi figure base
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Sandinista

usually i base after painting, but my first unit of BUF (Richmond, N. Yorks) I did as 3 figs on a 20 x 30 base and painted on final base. I could not imagine doing this on a more densely packed base, say a pike block, but for these I was happy with results. I may get organised and stick a pic or 2 up soon.

OldenBUA

For infantry, attach to strips of cardboard, paint, then base and varnish. Not enough spacing on my bases (5 figs on 6x3 cm, for BKC) to paint on the final base. But I have done so for 15mm DBM psiloi, light horse and auxilia. Might do this again for some stuff (spotters, AT guns, scouts).
I have painted vehicles on the final base, but I now prefer to paint them first, then base them.

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

nikharwood

Always base them & then paint: essentially:

Infantry / Cavalry : paint base first, then infantry
Modern AFVs / Artillery: paint vehicle first, then base [for muddiness]

Simples - and faster ;D

17-21l

I hate basing- so  get it over with at the start - as in basing and painting the base at the start- then I can 'look forward' to painting the figs, only my POV but at times I spend a whole evening basing then painting the bases- ust to get it done, - some people divnt like painting horses- I divnt like bases
>:( :D
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Derk G

For 6mm and 10mm I paint on the final base. For everything else I glue the miniatures on my endless supply of old humbrol cans (I use Vallejo nowadays).

DanJ

Depends on the type of unit.

Light/skirmish units with few figures in open order I put on final bases then paint as there's room to get the brush all round.

Close order units get stuck on lenths of wood then painted then based.

The_Shootist

Base figures, undercoat, apply sand to base and do base coat for base. Paint figure then dry brush base and appply flocking.

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Maenoferren

I have just painted all the bearers on strips then put them on the individul bases, however with the hunters and tigers they are based then will be painted, but as it is years since I did 10mm last I dont know which I will continue with
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

fred.

Both. Though not at the same time. For WWII I base then paint, the troops are in loose order so it is easier to get the brush around.

For ranked troops I paint blocks of troops on strips of hardboard or card board, stick the figures on temporarily with double sided sticky tape. For single based I do them on strips.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

ba22er

Same here,

WWII base then paint Ainchients paint then base it is all a case of wether there is a big enough gap for me to get my brush in.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

My vote applies to stuf which is going to be in closish order, so for instance with Modern, WwII, WWI infantry and guns I would base first. Also if its very small scale stuff I base first, such as 2mm/3mm

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021