Survey: The ideal opponent

Started by FierceKitty, 08 July 2010, 07:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

OK, the one you hope to meet at the wargames club is of course intelligent, well-informed about the history and the rules involved, a good sport, a gracious loser and a modest winner, and careful about handling your figures; if she's a single nymphomaniac and has tickets to the cup final or a string quartet this weekend (delete whichever you don't fancy), so much the better.
   But the real question: who's the dream opponent you hope to be facing in the championship?

My vote: the patriotic type that's read too many pulp historical novels. The one who believes that his own favourite (21st lancers/old guard/Waffen SS/10th legion...) cannot lose under any circumstances.

Any thoughts from the rest of you?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

QuoteBut the real question: who's the dream opponent you hope to be facing in the championship?

Thankfully, my days of competition gaming are well-over.

So I'll take the nymphomaniac please?  :P ;D

DanJ

A gentleman/lady who knows the rules but isn't interested in being a "rules lawyer", someone who plays to have a good game and within the spirit of the period rather than trying to wring the last advantage out  of what the rules can be interpreted to allow.

Sandinista

I agree with DanJ on this one, after all it is only a game  :o

Peeler

Similar really, a few chaps/chapettes who play the game pleasantly without rancour or tantrums, bring pies with them, and leave the place tidy when they go. 

FierceKitty

I think people haven't read my post carefully. I was asking about the one you hope to meet in a competition, not the one you play at a friendly and are happy to lose to.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 July 2010, 08:48:03 PM
I was asking about the one you hope to meet in a competition, not the one you play at a friendly and are happy to lose to.

That's easy: the waffler.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 July 2010, 08:48:03 PM
I think people haven't read my post carefully. I was asking about the one you hope to meet in a competition, not the one you play at a friendly and are happy to lose to.

My post still stands  8)

FierceKitty

Hmm...phallic inuendo there for the nymphomaniac?

DanJ

Aart Brouwer

Mine's coming up roses as well.  :P

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

lentulus

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 July 2010, 07:32:53 PM
   But the real question: who's the dream opponent you hope to be facing in the championship?

Someone who signed up for the tournament my mistake, because I would have.

DanJ

Quoteand careful about handling your figures

I solved this problem long ago, replace all spears and pikes with sharp metal ones.

They look great and draw blood if handled carelessley, afterall, it is a wargame  :D

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: DanJ on 22 July 2010, 05:11:02 PM
I solved this problem long ago, replace all spears and pikes with sharp metal ones.

They look great and draw blood if handled carelessley, afterall, it is a wargame  :D

Use nails for tree stems. I did for a while. Breaks the ice (and carpal bones) at wargaming parties.

Cheers,
Aart

Paint it Pink

Don't like playing championship tourney games, as I think it brings the worst out in people, including me.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/