Pendraken Painting Competition 2014!

Started by Leon, 06 January 2014, 01:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Popped a few entries in, and hoping to get my winter themed fantasy army photo'd up and entered as well.

Please be gentle on my camera bodging skills, they look much clearer actual size ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Good to see some more entries coming in, don't seem to be as many as last year though  :-\

Had a look at last year and there was a last minute rush, about 1/3 of entries came in during the last couple of days, seems Wargamers all over love that last minute rush  ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hetairoi

Hope to finish mine tonight and take some pictures tomorrow  :D
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!

get2grips

Steve J

I took some a while ago and they were all rubbish :(. Hope for better luck tomorrow...

paulr

Quote from: Steve J on 26 February 2014, 03:02:37 PM
I took some a while ago and they were all rubbish :(. Hope for better luck tomorrow...
Good photos are all about good light, from at least 2 directions. Even using a white sheet or bit of cardboard to reflect light back onto the models to reduce the harsh shadows really helps

Alternatively post some of the bad pics & there are several here who can offer advise on how to improve them

fsn

Quote from: toxicpixie on 25 February 2014, 01:44:44 PM
Please be gentle on my camera bodging skills, they look much clearer actual size ;)

You pick a user name of "toxicpixie" and worry about us taking the mickey out of your photos?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Just a reminder folks, please remember that the Entry threads are purely for the Entries.  Any posts discussing the entries need to be done in either the Discussion thread, or in a new thread please.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Some great entries coming in  :) :) :)

Goat_Majors are particulary impressive, how did you do the flag for the 3rd Dragoons - I have been trying to work out how to make patterned curtain material look good

goat major

With some difficulty Paul! I initially tried to draw on the hatching but it just looked wrong and out of scale. So in the end I just went for a darker braided edge and a flat centre. I think I worked up from foundry dark chestnut, foundry dark scarlet and Vallejo scarlet  in a few layers. The overall effect seemed to work - but it's one of the less interesting American flags !
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

paulr

Quote from: goat major on 27 February 2014, 05:55:12 AM
With some difficulty Paul! I initially tried to draw on the hatching but it just looked wrong and out of scale. So in the end I just went for a darker braided edge and a flat centre. I think I worked up from foundry dark chestnut, foundry dark scarlet and Vallejo scarlet  in a few layers. The overall effect seemed to work - but it's one of the less interesting American flags !
But with such a romantic back story :x ;D ;D  =O

jdeleonardis

There are some really incredible entries out there!  Great job everyone!

Womble67

To be honest I cannot believe that it has already come round to Pendrakens annual painting competition, and once I sorted through what I'd painted during 2013 continuing up to the end of February it's quite amazing to be honest I've actually managed to be able to enter 27 entries within the following categories. Foot - Pre 20th Century, Mounted, Open - Army, Open - Single Base, Vehicles.

Well good luck everone

take care

andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Leon

Quote from: Womble67 on 27 February 2014, 03:56:09 PM
To be honest I cannot believe that it has already come round to Pendrakens annual painting competition, and once I sorted through what I'd painted during 2013 continuing up to the end of February it's quite amazing to be honest I've actually managed to be able to enter 27 entries within the following categories. Foot - Pre 20th Century, Mounted, Open - Army, Open - Single Base, Vehicles.

Good luck!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Sounds like a very productive year Womble67, well done & good luck  :)