10mm WWII US Battlegroup

Started by bigjackmac, 03 January 2014, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Got another force finished.  This one took a bit; wheres most of the others were a simple re-basing job, this was a total repaint AND re-base job.  Previously they were painted as 82nd Airborne, with the khaki-colored uniform (like the individually-based guys in my 'All-Americans' battle reports), but I wanted a more generic looking US force, so I re-did these in Olive Drab.  The vast majority of them are from Pendraken's D-Day Paras range, though there are also 'regular' US Army infantry, Ardennes Paras, and US Marines mixed in as well (mostly a function of the fact I had them spare and needed to fill the spaces created when I pillaged this force for my 'All-Americans' project.

Couple rifle stands.  On the left you can see my patented and beloved leader stripes, in this case the horizontal stripe of an NCO (officers had vertical stripes).

The two CO stands.  The CO has the vertical stripe, while the SgtMaj/1st Sgt (depending on whether I'm playing it as a battalion or company) has the horizontal stripe.

Now, if you've seen my battle reports you see I use a lot of Takara/World of Tanks vehicles, which are significantly larger than the Pendraken and Minifigs vehicles (Takara is 1/144, Pendraken 1/150, and Minifigs 1/160, so shouldn't be significantly different in size, but they are).  So, to my eye, it often looks kinda strange; the Takara vehicles look alright next to the based infantry, but the unbased Pendraken and Minifigs vehicles look pretty small.  So, I tried up a test base, and I really like it, so guess what I'm doing?

For more pics and descriptions, please check my blog at:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/

V/R,
Jack

ronan

" you can see my patented and beloved leader stripes"
Good idea.

And well done minis !

bigjackmac

Thanks Ronan, I appreciate it! 

As I said on the blog, all the WWII stuff I have on hand is finished, but I've got a bunch on order, to include French and Brits for early war, inspired by your 'Blitzkrieg'-era battle reports.  I've also got North Africa stuff coming to finish that project up.  Okay, not finish, but at least give me enough stuff to play games with  :D

And I apologize that I haven't commented, but of course I've been following your French/German 1940 campaign.  If I understood you correctly, you've got other people giving you their plans for the campaign portion, and you're playing out the fights solo?  Cool stuff. 

Take care.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

ronan

Quote from: bigjackmac on 03 January 2014, 10:57:32 PM
(...) to include French and Brits for early war(...)

It's a "different" war, no monsters-on-tracks.

Quote from: bigjackmac on 03 January 2014, 10:57:32 PM
And I apologize that I haven't commented, but of course I've been following your French/German 1940 campaign.  If I understood you correctly, you've got other people giving you their plans for the campaign portion, and you're playing out the fights solo?  Cool stuff. 
You're welcome !
Yes, you understood well.

When will we see your new forces in a fight ?

petercooman

Nice work!!

What wash do you use? It brigs out the detail very well!

bigjackmac

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Peter - They are "Secret Weapon Washes," in "Armor Wash" color, by Secret Weapon Miniatures.  I always cut them with water, usually about 1/3 water, 2/3 wash.

Ronan - I like the idea of no monster tanks, I want to figure out some good rules for anti-tank rifles; you know, not a prayer in hell of destroying the tank, but bounce some really big bullets off the tank, cause some strange damage (stuff we're not used to when we're shooting at each other with 75mm and 88mm guns), maybe wound a crewman, and cause the tankers to retreat.  I think that's pretty cool.

Same thing for those tanks 'plinking' away at each other with their tiny little 37mm guns, or 20mm guns that aren't even strong enough to kill a tank.  Still waiting on them in the mail though  :(

I look forward to more of your batreps, and to see how your campaign progresses.  I don't really like having games without a campaign background, so this has been very interesting.  I'm hoping to get a game in today or tomorrow, but I seem to be having a mental block; I can't figure out which forces to use, or what scenario to fight!  I need to hurry up, time is wasting.

Thanks again guys, and take care.

V/R,
Jack

ronan

In the rules we use the crew sometimes bail out. In Force on Force, there is some "test moral". We're switching to Chain of Command, where the damage table often kills/wounds a crew, or damages the engine ..  You need a very good "kill" to explode the tank. I really like CoC.
"I can't figure out which forces to use, or what scenario to fight"
Don't you try a campaign game ?   
( I decided to use VERY simplistic campaign rules, as it allows the campaign to run easily, and we're not stuck in a turn )

bigjackmac

Ronan,

I really like Chain of Command as well, though for me it's not the easiest to solo with, though of course everyone has their own preference for what they want.

In the rules I use, any time a tank gets damaged the crew has to take a 'bail' test, which seems to work pretty well.

"I can't figure out which forces to use, or what scenario to fight"
Don't you try a campaign game ?"

Inspired by you, I just posted under the Battle Reports tab, asking for help in allocating enemy forces in a solo mini-campaign.  Please take a look, and feel free to put together a force mix.

V/R,
Jack