10mm WWII Allies

Started by bigjackmac, 30 December 2013, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

I had a bunch of Allies to work on, and was lucky enough to get a bunch of them done.  Here we've got Brit 8th Army (100% Pendraken), Brit Early war; despite having some Stens mixed in (mostly Minifigs, but with some Pendraken sprinkled in and a bunch more Pendraken on the way); Brit Airborne 'Red Devils' (100% Pendraken), and some regular old line doggies, AKA US Army Infantry (almost entirely Minfigs).

Here we go:

You're probably wondering why my Desert Rats have green helmets.  Well, a few reasons actually: 1) I like the look; 2) it makes it easier to differentiate them from Afrika Korps quickly; and, most importantly, 3) these will see action in North Africa, in Sicily, in Italy, and in the Pacific, from Malaya and Singapore to Burma and India.  The wash was a little harsh I think...

I'm a little aggravated that I've got a few Sten Guns mixed into my 'early war' British force, but I'll get over it.

Closeup of a couple of some Red Devil rifle teams, showing my home-made berets.

Closeup of a couple USA rifle teams.  I tried a lot of different paint schemes and wasn't really happy.  I ended up going with this paint scheme, and still wasn't happy until I 'overdid' the leggings.  What I mean is, they look good (to me at least), but if you look closely you'll see I painted the leggings almost all the way to their knees in order to get the look I was searching for.

For a few a lot more pics and better descriptions, please check my blog at:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/

I've got one more post to make, but the wife is intervening, be back later.

V/R,
Jack

petercooman

Looks good!!

Painting some british paras myself as we speak!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fateeore

Nice work.

I too like to mix in some green helmets with the 8th army I have painted. Looking at colour pics from the period they seem to have been very common and serve as a nice way to differentiate the newly arrived replacements from the veterans.

Techno

Good stuff Jack !
Don't think the wash you mention has worked too badly at all....Or do they look a little darker in natural light ?
(That's me assuming that an 'on camera' flash may have bleached the photos slightly ?)

Cheers - Phil.

bigjackmac

Peter - Good luck!  Mine probably don't have the correct colors, but I'm happy with them.  I swabbed the whole figure a chocolate brown, then added a medium green and desert yellow for the camo smock.  Like I said, works for me.

Fateeore - I'm glad to hear there's some historical precedent for 8th Army w/green helmets  ;)

Lemmey - Thanks man.

Phil - The wash makes them just a hair darker than I'd prefer, but they look fine on the tabletop.  I just needed one more drop of water to thin it...

Cheers guys.

V/r,
Jack