Balkan wars

Started by Nouseforausername, 24 December 2013, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Rob

24 May 2015, 10:04:29 AM #16 Last Edit: 24 May 2015, 10:07:32 AM by Rob
Quote from: Nouseforausername on 19 January 2014, 04:49:07 PM
haha, right. ok. Where do we start?

First off, Nations that participated?

As far as I can think, this is what I remember:

Bulgaria
Greece
Turkey
Rumania
Serbia
Austria-Hungary
Italy

I'm sure I'm missing some  

Bulgaria        - 1st and 2nd Balkan War
Greece         - 1st and 2nd Balkan War
Turkey         - 1st Balkan War
Rumania      - 2nd Balkan War
Serbia         - 1st and 2nd Balkan War
Montenegro - 1st Balkan War

Austria Hungary 3rd Balkan War  ;) (More commonly called the First World War  :))
Italy not involved

The First Balkan War involved Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Montenegro attacking the Turks in the Balkans and Aegean to carve up their territory. Although they had agreed on the territory split, Bulgaria paid the heaviest price and decided to keep what it had taken even if this was more than the original agreement.

The Second Balkan War involved Serbia and Greece attacking Bulgaria to try and take Bulgarian gains from the First Balkan War. Bulgaria taken by surprise managed eventually to halt the onslaught and just as they were counter-attacking was stabbed in the back by Rumania attacking from the East.

Austria Hungary throughout was on the verge of joining because they felt Serbia was making far too many gains. She was constantly restrained by Russia.

This is a period I would love to do. It is WW1 1914 with less sophistication.

An excellent book detailing not only the war but the make up of the armies is: http://www.amazon.com/The-Balkan-Wars-1912-1913-Prelude/dp/0415229472

It is also available free: http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/136095/Balkan_Wars_1912-1913._Prelude_to_the_First_World_War.pdf

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

mumbasa

Thanks for the info, especially the e-book  :)  What Pendraken figures do you use for the Balkan Wars??  What rules are you using??
Thanks in advance,
John

lekw

At one point I painted some WWI Russians as Bulgarians. Serbs would be from the WWI line and Turks from colonial range stuff with fez? I was thinking of using paper terrain 10mm Italian villages for Balkan terrain. The project eventually died because I lost interest. I will be going to Bosnia and Croatia in a week so who knows maybe my interest will come back.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sunjester

Quote from: Rob on 24 May 2015, 10:04:29 AM

Italy not involved

Not in an official capacity, but about a thousand volunteers served in the Italian Legion led by Garabaldi's son. Admittedly they wore regularGreek uniforms (dyed red in honour of their Garabaldini heritage).