Balkan wars

Started by Nouseforausername, 24 December 2013, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nouseforausername

First off thanks to all of the people who have welcomed me so far to this forum!  8)

Secondly, I understand that this is a little off topic, but have you, our dear friends at pendraken, ever considered venturing into the balkan conflicts? I understand that in the ww1 section of this page a fari number of nations that participated in the Balkan wars are iether represented, or can be represented through other exsisiting nations (painting russian soldiers green makes pretty convincing bulgarians)

It would just be fun to see some releases from this period!

Leman

You are so right. If you know what the figures in a range look like it is fairly straightforward to put together Balkan Wars stuff. Some Greeks in ballet tutus (or whatever those things are) would be an interesting addition. And if you are using a Bulgarian army be careful; they won't fight in the wrong hats you know.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

Strangely I've been thinking of this as well. I'm currently painting up Serbs and Austrians for early WW1, which has prompted me to consider other options. Bulgarians could fight in 1915 as well as the First and Second Balkan Wars.
Greeks in traditional dress would be useful both as Evzone and irregulars. You need troops in kepis for the regular line units, early WW1 French?
I suppose you could use WW1 Turks for 1912/13, but most units should be in fez's for the Balkan Wars. As for irregulars, there may be something in the Renaissance range that might do.
Not sure what to use for Montenegro?

Alan

Hello!

The Montenegro forces had a fairly plain drop collar uniform with what could be classed as a cut down fez. I was looking at the Osprey men at arms book I have on armies in the Balkans 1914-1918 this morning.

I will scan the colour plates and send them on to whoever wants them. Don't want to just whack them up here as I think there is a bit of a copywrite issue in putting stuff like that up isn't there?

cheers,

A.

Leman

For Turks have a look at the Egyptians in the Sudan range.

paulr

Interesting period, I've been looking at the naval side as a possible project...

What rules would you use for the land battles?

Any good references on the web for the various wars around the Balkans 1900-1913?

Regards,
Paul
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I would use Square Bashing. C19th Century Principles of War also covers this period (despite its name it contains rules for early tanks and planes as well as lists for the Balkan Wars participants). SB does a separate book of army lists with all the Balkan Wars participants. A friend of mine is doing this in 28mm.

sunjester

I was going smaller scale at company level, probably with TFL's Through the Mud and the Blood.

There seems to be a reasonable introduction on the Tiger Miniatures website http://www.tigerminiatures.co.uk/page7.htm

sunjester

For regular army Greeks, who wear a kepi, does anyone think there's anything in the 19th century range that might do. Danes in tunics or Wurttemburgers perhaps?

Leman

What about Belgians in kepi (WWI)? If they are in the Yser uniform they will be wearing a tunic presumably, but as yet I've not seen this Pendraken figure.

Nouseforausername

Wow! Looks like a popular topic!

one of the questions: What rules would you use for the land battles?

I would use 'Great war spearhead' as that is what got me thinking. I'm already building up german and Russian forces to use with the great war spearhead rules (which with a little switiching around and rule modifying can be also used for great war crossfire - if that is a thing yet? I'm sure it is!) But I got my hands on the osprey book about conflicts in the balkans 1914-18 (I think it was mentioned earlier) and found it quite interesting.

Perhaps we could put together some army lists, taking what can be used from exsisting pendraken ranges and then just request wahtevers missing?

Leman

Sounds like a good idea as it would help to firm up requests for specific missing figures, eg those Greek guards, whose name still eludes me.

Nouseforausername

haha, right. ok. Where do we start?

First off, Nations that participated?

As far as I can think, this is what I remember:

Bulgaria
Greece
Turkey
Rumania
Serbia
Austria-Hungary
Italy

I'm sure I'm missing some 

mumbasa

Has anybody worked on this project recently?  I, too, am interested in what Pendraken figures to use plus what rules to use, also.
John

Techno

As that was your first post, John.
Welcome to the forum ! (Even though you appear to have been here, longer than most of us.  ;) ;D))
Cheers - Phil