Q of the Week: The Lord of the Rings films?

Started by Leon, 06 July 2010, 02:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: 17-21l on 15 July 2010, 09:47:17 PM
I loved them- soundtrack too loud and at times you have to turn the sound down as it blares through the house ( at my age??) and then a few mins later you have to turn the telly up as you cant hear the actors!!!? arse really ( oh aye - and in the pictures I needed ear defenders ( no Im not that old, I spent 22 years working on tanks - so it aint me - I think??).

Negatives only 2 - it dont follow the books ( Tom Bombadil, Barrow wraiths etc) and the odd Yankie accent slips in - oooops and it REALLY P**Ses me off (Strider and Sam being the main culprits)

Lots of hot chics - which iff I remember (apart from Galadriel) they just didnt enter the book at all (eye candy for the movie masses - cannat winge)

Liv - Id use het s*** for toothpaste (ok maybe not but you get the meaning)

Oh yea- when are those Napoleonics coming out?????

Love you all darlings

God save the Queen
:D :D

In the nicest possible way, you're rather an odd chap...!

:P   8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sixsideddice

.... but at the end of the day - Eowyn is still MINE, all mine I tell you.... mine  :P

hehe

Six

sixsideddice

16 July 2010, 12:58:18 PM #32 Last Edit: 16 July 2010, 01:05:12 PM by sixsideddice
Oooh..ok!

Here's a good one then...brain teaser plot hole for the expert.

From the Council of Elrond, why didn't Gandalf simply have Gwahir fly Frodo to Mount Doom to drop the ring into the fire?

The Wind Lord wanted more gold for his pains that Galdalf had access to  ;)  Gandalf had it in mind to pay him with a year`s free supply of bird seed.

Patrick R

I didn't always agree with the way PJ handled some things in the films.  He even missed out on a few great scenes I really hoped to see.

On the other hand they are probably miles ahead of what the average Hollywood hired gun director would have produced.  And I'm really happy they didn't go for the "obvious" fancasting you often bump across on the net.

Can you imagine the following :

- A scene between Warwick Davis and Sean Connery ? "Shawrron ish lookin' ferr hish rrringg, Frrodo !"

- Or the diabolical Sauron (Tim Curry) cackling with maniacal glee while Mel Gibson (Aragorn) holds the dead Arwen (Sharon Stone) and then screaming Sauron's name in anger,

- Robin Williams as Tom Bombadil (if he does make it into the movie)

- 1/3rd of characters would be of African origin, for no apparent reason.

etc ...

Leon

Didn't Elijah Wood get the part of Frodo after dressing up as a hobbit in his back garden and sending it in as an audition?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Paint it Pink

Best fantasy trilogy ever, seriously what else is there?
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

nikharwood

Quote from: Paint it Pink on 23 July 2010, 07:36:28 PM
Best fantasy trilogy ever, seriously what else is there?

True enough...although there are a surprising amount of decent fantasy films:

The Princess Bride
Willow
Legend
Dungeons & Dragons
Labyrinth
Krull
Hawk the Slayer
Dark Crystal
Ladyhawke
etc etc

They're mostly children of the '80s, but I still enjoy watching them  8)

Stuart

Being a Sean Bean fan (yeah, yeah) I was disappointed he chose to use his floaty posh accent (he can only do two, Yorkshire and "posh). Not his best acting performance...
I can't really comment on the "look" of Middle Earth, because I didn't read the book until I after I saw the first film, so everything was already in place in my head. I remember I saw Return of the King three times at the cinema, must of liked it! Even if your arse did ache after it eventually finished.

Edit- Just remembered, Sean Bean did an Irish accent in Patriot Games...

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 23 July 2010, 09:24:29 PM
Dark Crystal

This was on the other week, and was a lot more disturbing that I remember it being!

:o

nikharwood

Quote from: Leon on 23 July 2010, 11:27:51 PM
This was on the other week, and was a lot more disturbing that I remember it being!

:o

Absolutely - most of my list there generally is significantly more disturbing when you watch it now....coolio  8)

Derk G

Got to love Willow as a fantasy movie.

Reasons:
(1)

(2)
They throw together loads of kit in a mix-and-match way to make the fantasy costumes. And most of this kit is actually pretty damn good and even *gasp* practical!

(3)
The chit-chat between the various good and mostly-good guys is hilarious

Paint it Pink

Quote from: nikharwood on 23 July 2010, 09:24:29 PM
True enough...although there are a surprising amount of decent fantasy films:

The Princess Bride
Willow
Legend
Dungeons & Dragons
Labyrinth
Krull
Hawk the Slayer
Dark Crystal
Ladyhawke
etc etc

They're mostly children of the '80s, but I still enjoy watching them  8)

Princess Bride check, Ladyhawke yes check, Willow maybe, Dark Crystal uhm, Legend a curates egg, the rest meh...
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Luddite

The Princess Bride   7/10
Willow   7/10
Legend   4/10 (mainly for Tim Curry)
Dungeons & Dragons   5/10
Labyrinth   4/10
Krull   9/10
Hawk the Slayer   2/10
Dark Crystal   10/10
Ladyhawke   2/10
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

nikharwood

You know what? I can't believe I missed Krod Mandoon off my original list!

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 06 July 2010, 09:34:28 PM
And Ms Tyler's alright - but Miranda Otto as Eowyn gets my vote

I've just been reading through some trivia bits on IMDB, and apparently:

A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior.

:P