What's crazy, impractical and bigger than a Maus...

Started by Leon, 02 December 2013, 02:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Can't see the point of it. Aztecs would be a better option

Leon

Thanks for the comments so far!  To address the 'waste of time' aspect, it's a bit of fun firstly, but it's also been done by a designer who wouldn't have been doing Aztecs at any point, so it's not taken the place of something else on the desgin schedule.  The amount of interest it generated was surprising, and despite it's zero real life production run, we'll sell a good few of them I expect, either for Sci-Fi games or 1946 style WWII continuation games.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

It's ierry who wasted valuable time, they could have used the research on much more usable stuff.

Great model!!

Wulf

Is there a Maus, or any of the E-series, available in 10mm?

Matt J

I want one, will make a cool diorama or objective.

its a super heavy battle tank but a proper one. If GW did 10mm this is the size a Baneblade or Shadowsword should be.

(don't tell me its going to be £150 though)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 02 December 2013, 05:01:09 PM
"We have a special rule at the club for those ?"  :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.

Special "Ratte" rules

A "Ratte" counts all terrain except roads as impassable terrain. Any road used by a "Ratte" counts as a ploughed field for subsequent movement.

The 240mm guns of the "Ratte" have a minimum range of (diagonal distance across the playing surface + 10cms).

At the start of every player turn roll 1D6 for each "Ratte"

On a roll of 1 to 5 the ludicrous weight of the Ratte puts such strain on the engines that the "Ratte" is immobilised for the rest of the game

On a roll of 6+ the strain on the engines and transmission causes problems similar to those encountered by early Panthers but with much more catastrophic effects due to the vastly increased amounts of fuel and ammunition on board. The engines catch fire and the"Ratte" explodes. Remove the "Ratte" model and replace it with a similar sized crater model which counts as impassable terrain to all troop types.

Modifiiers - an immobilised "Ratte" adds 5 to the die roll.

How does that sound Phil??

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

The Ratte was designed to carry two motorcycles for scouting duties and (iirc) up to twenty infantry.

I believe it should have secondary armament of a 128mm gun and 8 x 20mm AA guns (4 single barrel and a flakvierling).

Stats for Chain of Command anyone?  :d
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

fsn

Wonderfully brutal looking thing - but enough about Leon.

Of course, if one plays a 1946 game, the British would be armed with a new tank ...
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Quote from: fsn on 02 December 2013, 08:26:23 PM
Of course, if one plays a 1946 game, the British would be armed with a new tank ...
The Black Prince!

GordonY

That things awesomeness knows no bounds, but I'm a bit concerned of the amount of them that will be ordered.

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 02 December 2013, 07:16:20 PM
Is there a Maus, or any of the E-series, available in 10mm?

;) http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7248.0.html

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 02 December 2013, 07:33:06 PM
(don't tell me its going to be £150 though)

We're hoping to get it around the £30 mark of thereabouts.  It'll depend entirely on how much resin it takes up and the costs of that.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 December 2013, 07:57:57 PM
I believe it should have secondary armament of a 128mm gun and 8 x 20mm AA guns (4 single barrel and a flakvierling).

Yep, the 128mm is in between the two main naval guns, and then the quad AA's go on the two raised sections at the rear of the model.

Quote from: GordonY on 02 December 2013, 08:31:03 PM
That things awesomeness knows no bounds, but I'm a bit concerned of the amount of them that will be ordered.

From the interest it generated just sitting there as a master model, I reckon if we get a painted one on display, we'll shift a fair few of them at the shows.  Whether that's to the 10mm crowd, or 15/20/28mm guys wanting something a little different, it's all sales.  One thing in it's favour is that you don't look at it and think 'Oh, a 10mm tank..', the size of it means it could be used in most scales without complaint.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Wulf

Quote from: Leon on 02 December 2013, 08:53:17 PM
;) http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7248.0.html
Oh, nice...
QuoteOne thing in it's favour is that you don't look at it and think 'Oh, a 10mm tank..', the size of it means it could be used in most scales without complaint.
Then you look at the size of the crew hatches... (I'm already doing that with some 10/12mm tanks...)

Leon

Quote from: Fenton on 02 December 2013, 08:55:44 PM
Do you have a rough cost idea at all?

;)

Quote from: Leon on 02 December 2013, 08:53:17 PM
We're hoping to get it around the £30 mark of thereabouts.  It'll depend entirely on how much resin it takes up and the costs of that.