Which wargames show in the UK should I visit?

Started by Tobbe, 19 November 2013, 01:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbe

I'm trying to plan a shopping & war games spree for next year. Which show should I base it on?
I'm about to embark on the fool's mission of setting up Battle of the Auroch Hills with 10mm figures as well as building a scale model of the battleground. Maybe next year.

Steve J

Salute in London is the biggest but apparently comes at a price due to its size; ticket cost, queuing, hordes of other gamers, not too easy to get to (well from Bristol that is). The upside is that it has masses of demo games, all the major traders and more that you could ever want.

Personally speaking I love Colours in September at Newbury racecourse. Nice venue, good demo games, loads of traders, friendly feel to the show.

Hope this helps?

goat major

I'd put Salute first for a shopping spree - nothing comes near in volume of traders. The queue is only there if you want to go in at opening time. 30 minutes later - and it's gone. Price is high though - about double that of most events i guess. It is easy to get to if you are in the London area - but less so from other parts of the country.

Smoggycon is, of course, excellent :)

My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

WeeWars

I would combine a show with a battle site/military museum that also interests me. What period interests you?
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Do you have preferred travel dates at all?  And what kind of show would you like to visit?

Salute is the biggest by far, 140-150 traders, loads of games, so much to see and do.  It is hard to get around everything within the one day though, so it can be a very rushed experience.

Colours is a very nice 2-day event, lots of traders and games, and space and time to look about and see everything.

Warfare is a similar 2-day show, lots of things to see and slightly nearer to London and airports.

Derby/Donnington is very close to the East Midlands airport, and is also a 2-day show.  The show recently moved to a new venue, which is improving each year.

Vapnartak in York is a nice one-day event in February, nice city to visit and a great show to start the year.

And then there is of course Smoggycon!  There'll be some changes coming next year as well, so keep an eye out for those.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

Derby has always been my favourite..but there are some good ones in Scotland as well...Phalanx used to be good..Is it still going?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Yes Phalanx is still going. There is a small show virtually every weekend. Salute - far too busy, and FAR FAR too expensive.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Doesn't it rather depend on when and where you want to visit? Salute takes place towards the end of April, Colours happens in September, Warfare in November. Other shows take place throughout the year. London in summer will be a) expensive, and b) crowded, but if you want to maximise your shopping and wargaming experience it's probably where you want to be. Colours and Warfare take place in Newbury and Reading respectively, both of which are less than an hour's train-journey from London.

If you're looking for accommodation, this might help:

http://www.visitengland.com/ee/Where-to-stay/
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Colours, Warfare, Triples, Vapnartak, Worlds - all biggish and spread throughout the year:

Vapnartak, February, York Racecourse
Triples, April, Sheffield Leisure Centre
Colours, September, Newbury Racecourse
Worlds, October, Donnington nr. Derby
Warfare, November, Reading Leisure Centre
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

"Claymore" in Edinburgh on the first Saturday in August. Wargames show, Festival, Fringe, several castles, shopping, lots to do for wives, girlfriends, kids, parents, whoever. Downside - Festival/ Fringe so accommodation can be pricey and harder to come by than usual.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Campaign in May is free, in a shopping centre.
Lots of games, not many traders, vast quantities of high quality passing totty!
However, it is Milton Keynes!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Tobbe

Wow, thanks for all the answers and info!

There are quite a few shows in the UK and I was at a loss as to which to even start planning for. Just seeing the fliers and ads for a show does not give a feel of the vibe and venue.

Now it seems I should do Salute in spring and perhaps one of the two days shows next autumn :)

I'm about to embark on the fool's mission of setting up Battle of the Auroch Hills with 10mm figures as well as building a scale model of the battleground. Maybe next year.

Leon

Quote from: Tobbe on 20 November 2013, 11:17:59 PM
Now it seems I should do Salute in spring and perhaps one of the two days shows next autumn :)

Excellent, we'll see you there!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Admit it - you're even more confused than when you asked, aren't you?  :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net