What glue do you use???

Started by slinky, 04 May 2010, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slinky

What glue do you guys use to fix those fiddly vehicles together? Have got the motorcycle sidecars to attach and my super glue just wont bond! >:(

Any advice would be great! :D

Leon

I've just had this same problem putting some ECW guns together.  I was only using UHU though, I'll try some super glue later on.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Good trick is to have different thicknesses of superglue: higher viscosity is good for fiddly multi-part stuff...

...and/or use an accelerator: these are normally non-aerosol sprays: basically you glue as normal & then give a quick blast: it'll set in miliseconds...
l
You can, of course, accelerate with water/saliva too [cheaper] - but beware that these bonds will be a touch more brittle.

If you want some links, let me know & I'll post...

Hope this helps!

Patrick R

To base figures I use a neoprene glue that gives a really solid bond, but remains slightly elastic so figures don't break as with superglue.  Also use it to attach large pieces with big surfaces.

For attaching small pieces together I use a gel superglue.

For stuff that needs to be rock-solid I use 5-min epoxy.

slinky

Have just got some accelerator and a few dif glues to try, wish me luck ( might end up in casualty with a couple of motorcycle combo's attached to my digits)   :P

Luddite

Superglue GEL.

Fixes all problems... :D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

slinky

was originally using superglue gel but stuff was taking an age to stick.....

goat major

i do like superglue gel but it always clogs the nozzle

My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

17-21l

Yes - I use Superglue, and then when they get based the sand and glue on the stand stabalisesthe model too - so easy enough,

good luck  ;D
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

slinky

Glue update: Bought some calle "grip" and used an accelerator with amazingly fast results! On to the moto combi's next which should be easier now, although only one of them has a sprue long enough to reach the motorcycle  :o

Leon

Quote from: slinky on 16 May 2010, 06:41:16 PM
Glue update: Bought some calle "grip" and used an accelerator with amazingly fast results! On to the moto combi's next which should be easier now, although only one of them has a sprue long enough to reach the motorcycle  :o

That's no good.  Let us know how you get on, we can always send you a replacement out.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fishunter

I just use plain superglue bought at the 28mm sci-fi and fantasy devil stores ;)
It works a charm.
Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone.

nikharwood

Heretic  ;)

You do know that you can get Citadel / GW superglue for about 25% of what they sell it for, right?

No, really...even getting it from Leon (& helping him pay for his Playboy lifestyle) is cheaper  ;D

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 28 June 2010, 10:52:51 PM
No, really...even getting it from Leon (& helping him pay for his Playboy lifestyle)

Ah, if only....   :P

I must admit I checked the prices on the GW site when I was getting my stuff ready, and I couldn't believe what they were charging.  Â£5 for 118ml of watered down PVA?!?!  
I'll do you 180ml of top-notch PVA glue action for the bargain sum of £1.95!

As for superglue, £4 for 5g?!  No wonder they make a profit of millions.

;D

Last Hussar

I got half a litre of PVA for £5 in WHSmiths.  Superglue from Wickes.

Re the water accellerant.

Breath on the non superglue bit.  Alternatively PVA on one part, superglue on the other.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry