Paper Buildings

Started by barbarian, 13 November 2013, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Downloaded WinRar and it works perfectly. Be warned, however, the suppliers offer several other software packages which seem to be malware. Be careful to decline them all unless you want your browser hijacked. I spent most of Sunday morning getting rid of Conduit Search.

If you do download some of the Townscene buildings they come as OO/HO. I scaled mine down to 70%, which seems about right for 10mm figures. All I've got to do now is build them!
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

GordonY

18 November 2013, 05:08:42 PM #16 Last Edit: 18 November 2013, 05:19:42 PM by GordonY
Those look great, but as usual the problem I think is between games storage. The sheer volume of terrain on the table looks fantastic, but storing said volume is a headache.

Hertsblue

Yes, they are somewhat fragile too.

www.rulesdepot.net

GordonY

I usually chop up old packing cardboard (the stuff with the corrugations in the middle) and glue that to the inside, makes them a bit less fragile, still having a nightmare with the Dropzone Commander buildings, theres just so bloody many of them (60).

Wulf

The DZC buildings are quite big, and do require some reinforcement!

Techno

Can you still get foam-card (foam-board ?)....That'd work quite well to reinforce the paper, I'd have thought. :-\
Cheers - Phil.

Wulf

I got some from an art supplier in Greenock - which unfortunately shut up shop about a year ago...

GordonY

Yeah you can still buy it on E-Bay, but cardboard has the advantage of being free.  :P

barbarian

I think the main advantage of the DZC buildings is that they are stackable to save storing space.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Quote from: GordonY on 19 November 2013, 10:05:15 PM
Yeah you can still buy it on E-Bay, but cardboard has the advantage of being free.  :P
It also has the advantage of not paying postage on sheets of A1, which is how I bought them...

Wulf

As I've mentioned, I usually use the pre-printed buildings from paperterrain.com, but they do have one great disadvantage. They come with an exterior complete building & an interior ruined building - lift the complete version off to reveal the ruined one. There's an interior printed on the 'back' of the interior sheets, so you can place minis inside it. This looks great on the table, but means the walls are... well, paper thin... Thick paper, mind you, and with the exterior in place they're sturdy. But I wouldn't like to use the 25/28mm versions, they'd look flimsy and indeed would BE flimsy...

barbarian

About the thin walls, a 60 cm wall in real life would be a 0.4mm at the scale 1/150, so paper is good for the little scales.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Techno on 19 November 2013, 05:39:23 PM
Can you still get foam-card (foam-board ?)....That'd work quite well to reinforce the paper, I'd have thought. :-\
Cheers - Phil.

Yes, Hobbycraft do it in several sizes. It cuts more easily and accurately than cardboard, I find.

www.rulesdepot.net

petercooman

What i have done in the past, is glue matchsticks cut to size to the inner side of the wall.Just score the middle of the 2 matches with a hobby knife. Do this until the matches fit each other in a cross shape and glue them togheter and attach to the walls.

I find this makes them more durable. Off course you can only do this on buildings wich are closed.