1/600 Micro Armour

Started by Chad, 06 November 2013, 08:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Just experimenting with the above, but need some paint advice.

Being such small models, I need to use a light colouring and this is proving a bit difficult for Russian tanks.

Has anyone tried 1/600, Russians in particular, and if so could you suggest a light/medium shade of green that would suit?

Thanks

Chad

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Been a few years since I've attempted Soviets
Russian Green
Brown/Sepia diluted wash
Highlight Russian Green
Second highlight either 50/50 Russian Green and Buff or faded khaki
Or green-grey
Highlight khaki
Apply decals
Apply matt earth as dust/mud
Apply dark earth as fresh mud.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Dust/ mud on 1:600th??

I don't do that on 1:150th stuff!

There are some seriously hardcore painters on here beside whom I am never going to measure up :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Si Tyler

With small models I find it better to:
Use a white undercoat rather than black.
Use a thinnned coat of your main colour washed over the whole model. 
Then give it a dark wash (black or dark brown depending on your taste).
Then highlight with your main colour/add decals or markings etc.

This way you keep the model from getting lost in the dark undercoat

Chad

Si

Where do you get decals from for 1/600 scale?

Chad

Fenton

[url="http://www.domsdecals.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=xgkDXsTibUj058OkzmFrwKhIE3skocKPHPybrBgkUbfp5OhpjXK7TdGpMY0v6HFx&shop_param="]http://www.domsdecals.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=xgkDXsTibUj058OkzmFrwKhIE3skocKPHPybrBgkUbfp5OhpjXK7TdGpMY0v6HFx&shop_param=[/url]
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Si Tyler

And of course Leon carries a good range. I also make my own  ;)

Hertsblue

Quote from: Si Tyler on 07 November 2013, 07:25:41 PM
I also make my own  ;)

How do you get around the lack of white printing on inkjet and laser printers?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

You can get white decal paper
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Fenton on 08 November 2013, 11:28:37 AM
You can get white decal paper

That would seem to raise as many problems as it solves. Especially on letters like "A" and "O" which have interior areas. Plus having to trim the decal very exactly to avoid white borders.  :-\

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

At 1/600 I dont worry about decals anyway...

Hertsblue

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

Quote from: Hertsblue on 08 November 2013, 11:36:08 AM
That would seem to raise as many problems as it solves. Especially on letters like "A" and "O" which have interior areas. Plus having to trim the decal very exactly to avoid white borders.  :-\

you can start with a green (or whatever base colour for your tank) and put the lettering / numbers on top of this - then cutting out is much easier.

As most ink jets are designed for printing on white paper - most light colours can come out a bit weak. I made quite a lot of yellow divisional signs, and ended up painting a yellow square underneath, to give them enough colour. This is easier than it sounds as the square can be a bit of a splodge, as the decal will cover the rough edges.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts