1866 Campaign in the West

Started by Chad, 31 October 2013, 09:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I met him at Colours helping out on the Bruce Weigle table. Lives close to me and we hope to get a game in when family time permits. A very nice chap as well.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Looks interesting - especially if you can get it as an e-book.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

J.S.

There's a German book on the "western front" of 1866 which wasn't that good..hope this one is better. Will check it out anyways, in most cases British historians are far better storytellers than their German colleagues which often write in an extremely dull style (in the end someone might think you aren't a proper scientist. God forbid! [that's no joke but the sad truth, experienced this myself :-X ] )
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

In the UK history is an art, not a science.
Also you can never score more than 80% in an academic essay as you can never know everything. The American system of junior year abroad caused so much confusion as they always scored out of 100.

I only got 75% for that essay, I'll never get a first!
75% is a HIGH first!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

J.S.

What? This British system also sounds quite odd for German ears   :o Nevertheless it seems to produce better writers than the German universities where "scientific credibility" is everything. Nothing worse than a scholarly person who writes in a way a broader public maybe could understand.
I got 100% (=1,0) for my bachelor's thesis back then, but the corrector reminded me, that she could have easily downgraded it for the usage of "unscientific language".   :-<

And that's why my bookshelf is full of English titles and only a handful of German ones.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Whereas I scored 68% and a 2:1...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Slightly off topic, a fine example of a really good read is Shelby Foote's three volume history of the ACW. As he states in the book, he is neither an historian nor a military expert, but he can certainly get his message across. I suppose in FPW terms Ascoli's Day of Battle is in similar vein.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!