WW1 Germans

Started by sdennan, 18 October 2013, 05:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdennan

Hi Guys

Any recommendations for 1914 German uniform colurs from our friends at Vallejeo?

Thanks

Simon

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I did them in a dark green, and dry brushed grey over them. WWI field grey is much greener than WWII stuff.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Field grey, black wash, green wash, field grey highlights.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

German field grey actually got darker and greener as the war progressed and the Germans were forced to look for alternative dyes. And the jager grey-green was noticeably lighter and greener than the standard infantry colour.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Wouldn't half help if grey was grey. Does anyone know how authentic the field grey in All Quiet On The Western Front is (the John Boy version) because it actually looks quite brownish to me, and I'm not colour blind.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

richinq

I will be getting early war Germans next year to fight my French

As I am colour blind  can someone please tell me the Vallego  paint numbers for Early war german.

Many Thanks

Rich.

Fenton

I think Sea Grey is what people use for 15mm
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

richinq

Thats a choice of 3

VAL973  Light Sea Grey
VAL870  Medium Sea Grey
VAL991  Dark Sea Grey

I guess VAL991  Dark Sea Grey  looks the best

Rich.

Bernie

Hi

I used WWII Russian green and then it was toned down with strong army painter and then matt spray - As I use a burnt umber base wash it gave the colour I was after. For those who use white or black base wash they might have to use other colours

marshall1945

for WW2 I do an undercoat of vallejeo dark grey ten after the wash do highlights in field grey. I found it just looked too green on a small figure otherwise (however accurate it might be!). From what others have said and the WW1 unfiform is more green then I woudl suggest more through highlighting. Pendraken figures with the raised detail (pocket etc) make the highlighting approach work quite well
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I was looking at pictures and colour photos of German 1914 uniforms on the internet and there does seem to be a definite greenish/brownish to the grey, and it is also a mid rather than a dark colour. Further, the pickelhaub cover often appears to be a light tan colour and not grey at all.

Bernie

I used khaki for German helmet covers as they seemed as common as the light gray

Leman

Think I could easily go with that Bernie.

Hertsblue

And just to confuse matters further, a few weeks in the open usually faded or bleached colours - not to mention adding a layer of dirt and grime. Provided your units have a uniform shade you should be all right. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net