6mm or 10mm buildings

Started by Axebreaker, 11 October 2013, 08:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axebreaker

I need to get some buildings for my 10mm figures and I'm not sure what to get. I've heard 6mm looks good, but I'm not sure. The last thing I want is for my figures to look too big next to them. Any opinions are welcome. :)

Christopher

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I prefer 10mm, but then I play an area as built up rather than individual buildings.
For a dense built up area, 6mm.
Timecast all the way.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sandinista

I always go for 10mm, in scale with the figures. The visual spectacle of the table is important to me

Ithoriel

Yep, 10mm for me too.

I understand the appeal of 6mm but I just can't get past the feeling my troops are assaulting/ defending Wendy Houses  #-o
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

6mm. I dislike having the available surface occupied by two houses and having to pretend that's Prague or Rome.  10mm cover too much space.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Zippee

I'll buck the trend  :D - I frequently use 15mm buildings, particularly the excellent 4Ground stuff (which seems slightly on the small side for 15mm to me) and what with bases and the compressed view of looking down seem to better fit with 10mm than they do with 15mm. . .  (I'm referring to the 15mm wooden buildings and FIW bits, not sure this applies to the European stuff)

I get the concept of using 6mm (and have huge amounts of lovely Timecast stuff) with 10mm or 15mm but for me the discrepancy is too much. If I was to use that sort of an approach the buildings would have to be very stylised and map like - maybe Monopoly pieces or similar but not aesthetically pleasing terrain models. Somehow it seems more of a disconnect to have out of proportion models on the table than it would to have a scale 2D plan - maybe it's just me.

I guess it's either an aesthetically crafted, mutually scaled eye-candy battlefield or it's an abstract battle map with 3D miniature counters.  :-\

Steve J

6mm seems to work well for large Black Powder era battles in that you can nicely represent a town etc. However for more modern conflicts (ie SCW, WWII) it's definitely 10mm for me.

Shedman

Depends on the period and the scale

For 18th/19th century where 1 base = 1 battalion then 6mm

For 20th Century and skirmish then 10mm

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 October 2013, 01:14:53 AM
Yep, 10mm for me too.

I understand the appeal of 6mm but I just can't get past the feeling my troops are assaulting/ defending Wendy Houses  #-o

Yep, I second that.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Wulf

I'm using 10mm (paperterrain.com), but then again I'm primarily playing skirmish scale, with 1 figure=1 man, with my ancients I don't use buildings (maybe walls), but I can see myself using either 6mm to minimise the discrepancy in ground scale...

WeeWars

Small footprint, to-scale elevation.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Axebreaker

Thanks for all the feedback. :)

I plan on buying terrain for my Late Romans so I don't suspect the need to have many so I'll most likely go with 10mm as that's seems to be the advice.

Christopher

Wulf

Quote from: Axebreaker on 12 October 2013, 10:50:55 PMI plan on buying terrain for my Late Romans so I don't suspect the need to have many so I'll most likely go with 10mm as that's seems to be the advice.
http://www.amdl.co.uk/7_images/large_roman_villa_sm03b-09.pdf

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Axebreaker

Looks great Dour Puritan! 8)

Does anyway have some 10mm building with troops like Dour's to give a comparison?

Christopher