WRG 1685-1845?

Started by republic of tolworth, 26 June 2010, 10:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic of tolworth

Looking to do Imagi-nations during the mid 18thC.

Found a copy of these on my book shelf.

Any good? Any pitfalls that could be ironed out?

Cheers.

Adrian.
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

sixsideddice

26 June 2010, 11:56:30 AM #1 Last Edit: 26 June 2010, 12:04:51 PM by sixsideddice
Hi tolworth,

I used 1685-1845 for a number of years when I was a teenager (Tony Bath, right? Mine was a green cover), and I must admit I had a lot of fun with them... mind you, WRG was the rage at the time and I was merely following suit along with the rest of my gaming buddies.

As a set of rules, they are v-e-r-y precise. i.e. they will usually give you the results you would expect from a combat of that era; but not much room for lee-way as they want you to follow tradition and do only what is expected of you (try to think and fight like a commander and his men at the time would have done). The results will usually end up pretty much the same every game, as there is not much manoeuvrability for `fun` or experimentation, and as they are old school, so there is little provision for solo play if (like me) that is something you enjoy doing.

1685-1845 can also give some pretty weird outcomes if you try to deviate from what is expected of you.

Basically, the rules work on the assumption you like the minutia of military history and want to re-enact and stage things in a way WRG view history; I always had a problem with absolutes and moved away to more flexible systems as I got older... namely  my own lol.

Nice tidy set of rules; but I think they have been overtaken by time and 21st century thinking and new knowledge of the genre makes them a touch dated, in my honest opinion.  At the time of WRG, the world was a smaller place (no computers and more innocence) and people tended to swallow what they were given by the experts without question.

As for imagi-nations, I`d advise you join:   http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCDAISY/?yguid=321235886   the emphasis there is on simple rules yet lavish suggestions for expanding Lace Wars etc into full blown campaigns, uniforms, ideas, blogs, and solo enjoyment etc etc.

Happy gaming,

Steve

republic of tolworth

Thanks for that Steve :D

I'll take a look. Like you as the years creep in I'm looking for fun and not spending 8 hrs argueing the minutia of the battle. Especialy as my nation doesn't even exsist!

sixsideddice

anytime  :)

Ooooh a gamer after my own heart... I even go a step further (when no-one’s looking *wink*) and place my lovingly assembled `chaps`and ladies not only in imaginary nations, but fight with them in ways most un-historically correct at times. As I grow into my first white hairs I tend to wallow in the idea of playing toy soldiers, making up imaginary and semi imaginary histories for my creations, injecting a lot of role play elements into my endeavours - mostly in the form of journals, campaign diaries, photo battle reports, and so on.

I should point out that my `lovingly assembled` (i.e. painted with effort) metals are my pride and joy, but would probably not pass muster nowadays alongside other way more and  most extraordinarily talented modellers out there.

Steve :-)

republic of tolworth

I'm sure my forces will look like some one has waived a paint brush in their general direction :-[

Some of the forces are to be used to fight the battles that will come out of an 18thC political roleplaying game set in a ficticious part of Europe and their even dodgier farflung colonies.

sixsideddice

I'm sure my forces will look like some one has waived a paint brush in their general direction

Some of the forces are to be used to fight the battles that will come out of an 18thC political roleplaying game set in a ficticious part of Europe and their even dodgier farflung colonies.

Sounds a bit like "Morning Noon And Night In Vienna", a thoroughly engrossing game I have dabbled with in the past.

Your plans sound very exciting and anjoyable. I too am on the verge of starting a brand new Imagi-nation campaign of my own, from the foundations up, so know the passion and drive such moments give to our already over-enthused brains lol.

Good luck with yours, and I`ll also no doubt spend many happy hours on my own idea, in day-dream contemplation of places which never quite existed - but which might have  :-\

Steve

FierceKitty

Waiving a paint brush? Does this imply that they're unpainted, or that you use an aerosol?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

republic of tolworth

Na, just my painting doesn't come anywere near some I have seen on the forum :o

Just been waiding through 150 foot at the moment, sloooow work.

Sandinista

Your stuff is well painted Adrian, better than mine which I hide with lots of flags  ;)

republic of tolworth

Love the 6mm stuff you did for swiss.

As for flags, well it was yours that rekindled my enthusiasum.

Gotta get your Turks done, so I can shoot 'em :D

I've already started on a 'Bosniak' regiment.

republic of tolworth

Just got the Black Powder rules in the post today.

Gave me plenty to read while having a fun time with asthma ::)

Good job I bought some of the AWI casualties.