Ultracast figures and Mortem Et Glorium from Plastic Soldier Company

Started by Norm, 28 November 2020, 11:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

I'm pretty sure the machines will be leased, based upon the deals that we were offered for various RP machines when I worked for a design company. The deal normally includes servicing which can be damned expensive, priority on repairs and parts etc. With the technology almost being out of date by the time you buy it, it sure as hell makes sense to go down that route.

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 01 December 2020, 06:56:06 AM
I'm pretty sure the machines will be leased, based upon the deals that we were offered for various RP machines when I worked for a design company.

What from what I've heard the Warlord and PSC machines are on leases, but that option hasn't been offered to us.  They're asking 45,000Euro per machine, plus the 300Euro per mould that I mentioned earlier.  And the SioCast material is only available through them as well, so you're locked into their supply going forward.  It's an interesting idea and they've obviously put a lot of time into it, but those price points mean that it's just not viable for us to replace 3 or 4 machines and over 2500 moulds.

They also make a metal casting machine with an attached melting pot/furnace that I was interested in.  You barcode all of your regular moulds and the machine scans them as they go in, adjusts the settings to suit, and puts out a full spin for you.  You can run 3 moulds on a turntable and it would definitely speed up the casting process.  Again though, over 40,000Euro + 9,000Euro for the melting pot puts it immediately out of reach.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

It will only be a (short) matter of time Leon before a competitor emerges and their monopoly is broken and prices plummet. It's about holding your nerve.

I was on the Board of a print business many moons ago and we saw the same 'game' played by the big print machine suppliers - "buy our new shiny state of the art latest gadget machine, on lease terms" was the cry, "but you also have to use this special ink or special service lubricant as well" and that was at an astronomical surcharge or on a contracted basis or you breached the machine warrantee.

They'd even roll over your existing lease debt from other manufacturers - so you could end up with new machines bearing c.5 or 6 times their true worth in accumulated debt.
No wonder it was easier for a printer to go bust, then phoenix and buy the machines back at a knock-down price with no debt. It was (& probably still is) a totally crazy situation.
We'd even be encouraged to sell our really old machines at knock-down prices - often back then to Eastern European printers - who would buy up 2 or 3 machines more than they needed to cannibalise for parts and then they'd undercut the existing UK printers ... and people would be surprised that the UK print industry was falling apart.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Simon@TWZ

Hello all.  Pendraken have been my favourite 10mm models for well over a decade so I am big fan of Leon and all things here. Must have at least 500 tanks and 1000s of infantry for WW2 plus a good few 1000 ancients as well.

Thought I may as well chip in as I am in the know on such things. The forthcoming Divisions of Steels rules work with anything from 6-20mm but 10mm is a clear hot spot for the games.  PSC is doing a Divisions of Steel 10mm range which is scaled to match Pendraken at my request.  Personally I think 1/150th is the right scale for 10mm.  I've got 1/200th through to 1/144th and find them too small and too big and they don't mix at all well.  So I'm for 1/150th all the way personally.  You'll find lots of Pendraken models in the rulebook in my photos BTW.

On Ultracast.  First the machines are not available on lease to anyone Leon so your not missing out - only for purchase. So yes its a fair bit of money and risk I'm afraid. As you say about 50,000 Euros each just to get started!  It's feeling very good so far but like all new tech takes some time to get fully used to. 

The challenge is the material which is proprietary. I couldn't tell you what it is as I don't actually know!  It isn't anything like the ones from 3 or 4 years ago from GW - that was a resin that didn't work. 

This takes paint amazingly well and is very resilient. I own Lurkio metals and the plastic and metals seem to live happily side by side and you truly cannot tell them apart - even as the owner of them. I now play a game and ask people to choose and they never know until they pick them up! 

I expect the same will happen with WW2.  Metal and funky-plastic will co-exist nicely. Hopefully we will get a flourish in 10mm WW2 gaming next year which can be nothing but a win/win.

Si

Simon@TWZ

Quote from: Big Insect on 30 November 2020, 09:58:32 AM
Sadly I am not a fan of Mortem Et Gloriam (MeG).
I've played a number of trial games with a proficient player and watched a number of competition events and have come to the conclusion that life is just too short to go down this particular avenue.
I thought the initial pre-battle phase was way, way too complicated and protracted for the ultimate outcome.
I tended to get bored part way through it and just hurry the process to its ultimate conclusion just so I could get on with playing the game - all that use of special dice, play charts and cards - sorry you lost me there before we've even started. Also, I am really not sure the ultimate outcome couldn't have been achieved in a much simpler and faster way!

The rules also need a lot of figures/units if played in their original format.
Which is fine if you are a refugee from the old DBM or FoG school of gaming and have the larger armies already in existence in your gaming cupboard, but units made up of masses of bases in multiple lines (of which only c.50% actually have any real use in the game) are all well and good if you have a lot of existing figures (in 15mm or 10mm - great for figure manufacturers  :D) and of course they look very nice on the table, but if you are somebody that likes to experiment with a lot of different armies or army variants,  across a lot of different ancients sub-periods, this set of rules is going to prove very expensive for you.

The ultimate rules mechanisms - moving, shooting, combat all work pretty effectively. But there is nothing here that is really revolutionary or distinctive.
Command is different - but again it is a combination of special dice and cards and like the pre-battle terrain and deployment section I found it overly complex for the outcomes it ultimately achieved.

In addition, c.50% of the games I played ended in timed-out draws - so no ultimate defeat of one side or the other. Now that might be due to a number of factors - my inexperience, my & my opponents playing styles, the armies we were using, etc.etc.etc. But one thing I found for sure was that this is not a quick pick-up set of rules and it does not make for a quick or particularly decisive end result.

I must also admit to tending to favour the larger scale of miniatures at present for my ancient/medieval gaming - having spent most of lockdown painting 28mm Punic War figures - so this might be a set of rules more for those who enjoy massed battles in a much smaller scale.

Just my thoughts and views of course  :D

mark

Hi Mark,

Just to let you that the original set I self-published was that bigger game but what I then did is scaled it to three sizes.  So the new compendium has PACTO, MAGNA and MAXIMUS.  Maximus is what you were looking at and trying.  PACTO is about 25 bases a side, Magna about 50 compared to MAXIMUS and its 80 approx.  Pacto plays in about 90 mins, Magna 2 hours.  Lots of people playing Pacto from scratch coming in from all sorts of places which isn especially pleasing.

FWIW average result rate in events is 88% so most games get to 15-X results.  But if you were new to it and playing Maximus without helpers it can easily be so for a while. Also saw that with a some people playing in Australia at the beginning.

Maybe try Pacto with your Republicans. We do 28mm Pacto down here a lot in Cape Town.  Very fast moving indeed.  My army has 16 bases of hastati/principles, 4 Tirari, 4 elites, 2 cavalry and generals.

Si

Big Insect

All sounds good Simon - I am a regular LaDG player myself (having spent many, many) years as an Armati player.
So the PACTO size game is probably much more up my street.
I'll give it a try
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Simon@TWZ

Magna seems to be taking off in the USA with AdlG players.  About the same armies.  Pacto about Double DBA.  Any help needed just ask not he forum or FB.

Si

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi Si. Aim to try the rules once the Welsh Idiots (politians) lets cross the border, if Airbus aint demolished the venue yet.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

At the rate we're going at the mo', Ian, it'll be the other way round soon. X_X

Cheers - Phil