The Baden Brigade, 1809

Started by WeeWars, 17 September 2013, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Quote from: Leon on 18 September 2013, 03:33:50 PM
It's frustrating at this end as well, as we're trying to fight so many fires on so many different fronts.  The WW1 stuff has jumped to the top of the queue because of the centenary next year.  Then we've got the 1809 ranges which still need fleshing out, and then finally we need to prepare ourselves for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo in 2015.  Getting the Brits and Prussians done will mean we've got the main core for that, giving people time to buy and build their armies.

The 1812 ranges stand up pretty well in terms of size and heft, there's a comparison figure somewhere which I'll try and find.
The French Old Guard uniforms will be fine for 1815 but none of the 1809 French Young Guard or line troops. So does this mean apart from 1812-15 British and Prussians, you will producing 1812-15 French line and young guard?  :)

Rob

Apart from the good old Baden Brigade there are the Hessians and a whole division of Saxons who fought ar Wagram.

I have no idea on the Saxon uniforms. Was it the 1806 uniforms?

Zippee

Quote from: Rob on 21 September 2013, 06:23:54 PM
Apart from the good old Baden Brigade there are the Hessians and a whole division of Saxons who fought ar Wagram.

Absolutely yes the original 1806 style uniform but with amalgamated schutzen battalions

The Hessians are also in 1806 clobber (probably - some sources say they may have been equipped en route with shako and new uniform but I for one prefer the glamour of bicorns  :D)

Wurttemburg is not at Wagram but is essential to the early part of the campaign

WeeWars

Quote from: Rob on 21 September 2013, 06:23:54 PM

Yes, the good old Baden regiments that fought at both Aspern-Essling and Wagram!

Apologies Zippee, no is the simple answer for the Saxons. Still in bicornes but with the big difference being that they abandoned the hip pack for the backpack. The sword was now worn on a cross belt rather than on the waist belt. There was also an attempt to straighten the round lapels that was not altogether successful.

If you're in a hurry, you might like to look at Clib's fine AWI Germans. More appropriate for pre-1809 as they have hip packs but lack sabres.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

As for the Hessians, I would go with Gill who says that they still wore the bicorne. Shakos were introduced toward the end of the 1809 war but issue was still incomplete in January 1810.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

Quote from: WeeWars on 21 September 2013, 08:15:34 PM

Apologies Zippee, no is the simple answer for the Saxons. Still in bicornes but with the big difference being that they abandoned the hip pack for the backpack. The sword was now worn on a cross belt rather than on the waist belt. There was also an attempt to straighten the round lapels that was not altogether successful.

Indeed, yes the packs and some webbing was updated but in essence the 'uniform' remained as per 1806 - just different enough so you can't use 1806 Prussians  :D

I'd call that a simple yes (with some changes) not a simple no (with some things staying the same) - horses, courses  ;D

quasar42

Quote from: Rob on 20 September 2013, 05:31:04 PM
The French Old Guard uniforms will be fine for 1815 but none of the 1809 French Young Guard or line troops. So does this mean apart from 1812-15 British and Prussians, you will producing 1812-15 French line and young guard?  :)

The main difference between the French 1809 and 1812 patterns is in the cut of the jacket.  Given the size of the figures and the way they are sculpted the difference is probably not very noticeable and might be fixed in any event with some small conversions. Different people may have different views, but I would be happy to use the 1809 figures in latter battles rather than having to paint hundreds of duplicate figures. There are also always the greatcoat figures.

What would be nice on other hand would be to have some additional poses for the French, loading figure!, skirmishers, some kneeling figures for that last carrée. Also, for Waterloo we would need Carabiniers in cuirass.

Rob

Quote from: quasar42 on 30 September 2013, 09:06:36 AM
The main difference between the French 1809 and 1812 patterns is in the cut of the jacket.  Given the size of the figures and the way they are sculpted the difference is probably not very noticeable and might be fixed in any event with some small conversions. Different people may have different views, but I would be happy to use the 1809 figures in latter battles rather than having to paint hundreds of duplicate figures. There are also always the greatcoat figures.

What would be nice on other hand would be to have some additional poses for the French, loading figure!, skirmishers, some kneeling figures for that last carrée. Also, for Waterloo we would need Carabiniers in cuirass.
I do agree, I was merly "prodding" to see what happened. The armies I am building at the moment are to be 1813 based, which theoretically for French should all have the later uniform. However I do believe that the old uniforms had to wear out first so existing units such as the cohorts and troops in Spain and Italy would all be in the old uniform. It also seems to me new uniforms were in short supply as some recruits seemed to be issued with greatcoats only. In the case of the line infantry a Baudin uniform is a nice to have.
I also agree with the Carabiniers, we do have the line lancer.

Incidentally I was talking to Leon on Saturday about the British. He said we were going to have BOTH pre and post 1812 uniform changes types.

Cheers, Rob  :)