What do you prefere ?

Started by chalkie, 12 September 2013, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chalkie

Question for you all, what do you prefere trees individual based or multiple trees on a base to represent woods ? Tried single trees for many years but always knock them over so gonna make some woods with multiple trees on with enough room to get your hand in and move any figures inside.

Paul.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just to be awkward.
Base represents area of wood, then individual and clusters of trees hat can be moved out the way of units/figures after.  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

chalkie

That's how I used to do it, maybe iam just after a change. Was thinking about 3 trees for a light wood and maybe 6 for a heavy,  what you recon ? :)

Steve J

I use the same system as Lemmey, with my trees mounted on 2p coins. Before that I found permanyly mounted trees on a base too awkward, or the individual trees make a wood route hard to determine the edge etc.

chalkie

Ummm, I see what you mean Steve

Steve J

The other advantage is that the wood 'base' can be used as 'heath' type terrain when the trees aren't on there.

petercooman

I base my trees single on a 40 mm round base. That way they stand firm, and by puttig a few next to each other, they form their own wood; When i need to know the border of the wood, i just put a ruler so it's touching both bases at the edge to identify the line of the area terrain  :D

The plus side of this is that you can use them togheter or as single trees as you see fit. some pictures here:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6568.15.html

Hertsblue

I agree with Peter regarding free-standing trees. If you make the bases wide enough they're fairly stable. If you embed a coin or a washer in the base they will be even more stable. As for marking wood  boundaries, our club has always used simple areas of green felt cut out with pinking-shears to give serrated edges. Cheap, robust, easy to make and they conform to hills, ridges etc. Obviously you can "pretty them up" with paint, flock and lichen if you so desire.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

get2grips

Yeah with Lemmey on this one.

I actually base the trees on cheap poker chips: really sturdy.

Uncle_Cthulu

I use lots of different combinations.
Though i am taken with the idea of making a dense wood.
Base with trunks round the outside then a heavy caponay built over top.
I think it will fit the feel i am wanting out of my gamging tables.
Though as ever too many projects not enough time!

WeeWars

The important thing about a wooded area for gaming is a defined outside edge. I use hex bases.

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost64.htm

If the hex base is the same depth as the distance opponents can fire into the wood, even better. Then it's easy to tell where the woodland ends and whether troops in the wood can be shot at or can shoot out of the wood. If this is too 'basey' for you and you don't want lots of single trees, you could instead mount bushes/shrubs/hedges on hex bases to construct edges, then fill the central (eye candy) areas with multiple-mounted tree bases.

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

chalkie

howayman

I use the plastic three pronged inserts from pizzas, suitably decorated with rubberised horsehair, flock, etc.

get2grips

Quote from: howayman on 13 September 2013, 11:09:49 PM
I use the plastic three pronged inserts from pizzas, suitably decorated with rubberised horsehair, flock, etc.

Depends how many pizzas you eat  ;D

barbarian

I cannot possibly imagine what these " plastic three pronged inserts " are.

(I live in Italy, by the way)
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!