WW1 Rules available for play testing

Started by DanJ, 23 June 2010, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJ

23 June 2010, 01:35:07 PM Last Edit: 17 February 2012, 05:41:42 PM by Leon

Leon

These look excellent, I hope you get a lot of interest in them.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bertie

Not tried them yet, but I have had a good look and am very interested. Tried Great War Spearhead & Bloody Picnic, OK but these seem much more interesting and fun. Once I get some time and get the others on board we will be giving them a a run through

Good work DanJ

DanJ

Hi Bertie,

Thanks for letting me know, I was starting to think no-one cared :'(

Actually since I posted the V1 they have gone though quite a lot of editing and some changes and are now on Beta V3

The latest iteration keeps about 90% of the V1 set but I've changed the combat from D10 to D6 and simplified and expanded the close combat rules to include assaulting bunkers and fortified positions as well as rules for ground attack aircraft fnecessary for 1918 battles, especially the 100 days campaign.

I've a big game planned for tomorrow which should test the new stuff to destruction, hopefully no big issues will come up and I'll finish pulling it all together by the end of the week and get the new PDFs to Leon by the weekend.

Dan

Bertie

Hi Dan, how did the play test go? When can we see the revised version?

A question on the rolling barrage, it is 10cm wide and moves forward 20cm per turn. This will leave large areas on the field untouched. Is this the correct interpritation, as you can see I am not the sharpest bayonet in the Company.

Bertie

Leon

Dan's just sent me the revise edition, so I'll get it uploaded this week for everyone.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

DanJ

Quoteas you can see I am not the sharpest bayonet in the Company

Don't worry my little Baldrick, I have a cunning Plan....

The question about the Rolling barrage is a very good one and shows how hard it is to make what you write be what you mean, especially when you've been playing and developing a set of rules for months  ::)

The rolling barrage is indeed 10cm wide and advances 20cm per turn but this is across the WHOLE of the table, edge to edge.  This way it will roll over every part of the table but at any one time only a relatively narrow portin of the table will be covered.

Imaging a curtain of shells slowly moving across nomans land with the infantry and tanks trying to keep.

There are a number of WW1 artillery fire plan maps available in the internet and the Western Front Association does a number of DVDs with almost all the British WW1 maps on them.

Try here for a taster

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=artillery+map

Dan

Sean Clark

Dan

These look very interesting. I like the 'down the table' approach to give depth to the battlefield. I have printed them for a closer look and will feed back my thoughts.

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Bertie

Sorry Dan, I understand eveything except the fact that if I move the 10cm deep grid forward by 20cm I will jump10cm of the table with the fire plan. I would undertand if the grid was 20cm wide. :-[

DanJ

Hi,

I've just checked the latest version I sent to Leon and the Rolling Barrage area query is pretty much covered on pages 21 and 22.  

Dan

DanJ

Ah, sorry,  I see what you mean.

To repressent the rolling barrage we use strips of felt 10cm wide by 30cm long.  These are stretched across the table and flipped over twice at the begining of the attackers turn, rolling for effects on every unit rolled over, even if they are no longer under the barage at the end of the turn.

The strips allow us to "bend" the barrage when needed to conform to terrain.  20 x 30cm strips would work fine and would only need "flipping" once which is probably a better solution.  I think we use 10x30 strips because in one of the early versions of the rules the barrage advanced 10cm at the start of the attackers AND defenders turn, this was abandoned as being too complicated (as were many other sophisticated and interesting rules which ultimately were found to slow play down without giving much in return).

I also think my local market stall sells felt in 30x30cm squares so cutting a square into 3 strips was logical at the time.

I just haven't got round to buying and cutting up more felt strips but I may well change the rules to reflect the recomendation of using 20x30 templates.

Just had a eureka moment, rather than use felt templates you could use coloured ribbons to mark the edges of the barrage  ;D

DanJ

The wonders of technology!

I've just ammended the rules to make the Rolling barrage template 20cm wide and sent an updated PDF to Leon, hopefully he'll upload it instead of the one I sent yesterday.

Dan

Leon

New edition uploaded and available in the original post at the top of the page!

The_Shootist

have downloaded them and will try and get the local club to try them out, they currently play square bashing so maybe be able to convert them.?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Just a note - mentioned em on the Deeside Defnders group, as our tame(ish) scotsman likes WWI, so the link is now on "freewargamesrules.co.uk"

IanS >:(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021